259 Stude Engine

Hi all, First time posting as I just found this group. I have done some searching so far and found some good posts. I just wanted to get everyone's advice o n my 259 engine. From what I have read, a lot of people really believe thi s is a good engine! I just took this out of the frame of my 1958 Studebake r Transtar Deluxe 3/4th ton pickup as it would not turn---subsequently it h as been sitting for 32 years now because my sister ran it low on oil and it locked up. Any way---I am looking to possibly rebuild it. I have it all torn down and two of the pistons were locked up but now free. I have asked a few guys and they are quoting me 3K to rebuild it. I have worked with m otorcycle engines quite a bit and thinking they are the same in terms of sp ecs--other than the physical size of course. My questions are---if I get m y micrometers out and do some spec measuring---and things are within tolera nce---can I just do some rings and get by? Also, I know I need to measure cams, mains, camshaft, etc. Are there items on this engine that HAVE to ge t done now that it is torn down or SHOULD be done to make it last longer? I realize gaskets but other than that?

I am trying to keep this rebuild on the lower end of the $$$ scale and the

3K made my eyes open quite wide. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff in Minnesota.

P.S I apologize if some of you have seen my posts on SDC, Truck Talk, etc. I am trying to get ALL the advice I can.

Reply to
Jeffrey Smith

[...]

I just had a 325 Dodge Hemi engine done and it was almost 3500 with new 4bb l. carb. I thought the quote was high too, but when I priced out all the p arts and added in the machine work, it was not that mush more to have the s hop build it and stand behind it also. I would spend the money but only if the vehicle can jusify the expense. Will it increase the trucks value by more than the cost of the new engine?

Reply to
bcbound1