3 Speed Floor Shift Conversion with OD

Can the floor shift conversion kit from Hurst be used with the 3 speed tranny with Overdrive? It looks like there would be interference with the OD itself. Has anyone done this? Do you have pictures?

Scott Rodgers

Reply to
scottlrodgers

Hurst used to sell a different kit for OD trans; with longer rods and a different mount. Numbers for individual kit parts for different apps were on line a year or so ago. Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

Yes, it will not work without some engineering.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Scott, many years ago, I had a '53 Champion coupe that had been equipped with a

259, 3 speed with O.D. I installed a floor shift, using a generic shifter such as Western Auto or JC. Whitney sold. It was quite a chore to build the brackets and get the linkage rods to clear the solenoid, but I made it work.

If I were going to do such a conversion again, I think I'd start with the

4-speed shifter out of a Monza or similar car. That shifter mounts in the floor, and connects to the tranny with linkage rods. You could simply block the reverse gate, and use the 1-2 and 3-4 levers to work R-1 and 2-3 respectively. BTW, I'd grab a hunk of the Monza floor with the shifter, cut a suitable hole in the Stude tunnel, and weld the hunk of Monza floor in place. Measure twice, cut once, of course.

Actually, come to think of it, I have a '64 Daytona hardtop here with a T85 O.D., and IT has a floor shift, brand unknown. Shifter works OK, though.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
Studebaker George

When I purchased my Champ truck the T90 tranny w/od had already be converted to a floor shift. From what the previous owner tells me he used an aftermarket unit from, I think, JC Whitney. From what I was told little had to be done to instal the unit. The shifter is close to the right knee, but it shifts very well.

Joe Roberts

Reply to
itraseecab

Something like this?

Of course it doesn't list Studebaker...

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

What trans and car? More information than Stude and OD, please. Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
scottlrodgers

Scott, cars with OHV six usually got the T96 tranny, unless they were equipped with a heavy duty package like taxis were. Or if the engine-tranny pair came out of a Champ pickup.

T96 = 4 bolt top cover T86 = 6 bolt top cover T85 = side cover

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

T96 tranny, unless they were equipped with a

Reply to
scottlrodgers

Not picking on you, Scott. Just that if you order the shifter kit for the wrong tranny, you might be disappointed.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I don't think Hurst ever offered a kit for any Studes except the 4 speeds. They made a kit for Fords with the T85 which could be used to mount the shifter in a Stude; but all bets are off about seat clearance. There was a separate kit for T-85 OD; with different rods, and probably mounts. Mike M.

Reply to
Mike