4 Barrel Carb

I have been asked what is a good current 4 barrel carb for a Stude 289? I only have info for SC 2 barrels. What do you suggest?

Reply to
Mike Williams

500 CFM Edelbrock Performer (basically the same as a 9000 series AFB) on a stock engine, I'd like to try a Thunder Series (AVS) but don't know anyone who has, I've been told that a 600-650 CFM carb is about as big as you want to go on a modified engine

nate

Reply to
N8N

I have two 675 CFM AFB's on my Avanti and it is not too much. It is bored to 304.5 but even as much as a single 675 on a 289 should not be too much.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

I have experimented with just about every carb known to man on Stude V8's. The 500 CFM Edelbrock is fine for stock 259 or 289 engines but may require some jet "tinkering". Same with the 650 versions although they are better suited to modified engines or stock R1's. I ran an AVS from a 340 Mopar on a stock 289 for a while (before the new versions came out) and it was a GREAT carburetor although the rods for that particular model are dang near impossible to find. The Mopar HP application was a bit rich for a stock 289, so I finally installed a

500 Edelbrock electric choke carb. I tried a Quadrajet for a little while and it was OK except the various adapters needed and clearance problems and the fact that it just didn't LOOK right... I will be using a new 650 AVS on the R1 engine I'm building for a friend's CE project. The AVS secondary transition is ultra smooth and responsive. Oh, and stay AWAY form Holleys, they are a pain in the ass and should be left to NASCAR racers and fools who buy them on ebay cheep to avoid buying a new Edelbrock. Studebaker George
Reply to
Studebaker George

I'm using Edelbrock 600's on a number of mine - was surprised to learn that the 'bogging down' problem I initially had from standstill was because they were jetted too lean. I went up one jet size on both primary and main and they work great.

Mike Williams wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Thanks, I'll pass that information on.

Reply to
Mike Williams

The 600 works perfect on a 259. As long as you are under 4000 rpm's It only takes what it needs.

Reply to
studeluver

Okay, I thought this ssue had been taken up on here before and I thought I had mine set up correctly, but when I looked at your picture of the Edelbrock I thought something looked a little odd as I have almost the exact same set up. Today while tinkering with the truck I realised what looked out of place, the vacuum line is on the other side. I don't think mine is wrong because I tried it on the other side and the engine didn't run as well. Can someone please settle this issue once and for all?

Richard Lawler

'57 1/2 ton Transtar '51 2dr Champion

Reply to
Richard Lawler

Acording to Edelbrock book the distributor plugs in on the passenger side

Reply to
studeluver

I would strongly recommend staying with a 500 cfm AFB for a stock 259 Stude, unless you have hopped it up. Over carb'ing an engine is way too easy. An AFB is more forgiving than most carbs because of the secondary air valve, but it is not a panacea. Stay small and enjoy. Jeff (BTDT a bunch on Stude 4bbl engines) Rice

Carb tuning info:
Some good basic answers:

The 600 works perfect on a 259. As long as you are under 4000 rpm's It

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

You should have in on the passenger side I believe. Whichever side that has no vacuum at idle. That is the ported side. If you have been running on the other side then you had full vacuum advance at idle and your idle screw would have had to be turned way down to slow the idle speed. When you switch to the ported side, just open your idle speed screw a bit to set the correct speed. You should probably also adjust the idle mixture and then readjust the idle speed. If that is too much trouble just leave it like it is. I don't think it harms anything.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Well okay. That's the side mine is on. So Paul, why is yours on the drivers side?

Richard Lawler

'57 1/2 ton Transtar '51 2dr Champion

Reply to
Richard Lawler

Richard,

I put mine on the drivers side based on the instructions, which say the passenger side port is a timed vacuum port for emission-controlled vehicles, and the drivers side port is for non-emission controlled engines. Since I have not ran the engine yet, I don't know which will work out better. That does sound like something good to experiment with; I will have to put a tag on the vacuum advance line so I can remember to do that. (Not that I necessarily have memory loss, but since my project progress is measured in years instead of months, I need to do something........and don't even say it, Ray!!)

I will go out to the garage tonight and see which port I have it hooked up to on my '64 R1 GT Hawk.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Thanks, Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Go for the 500 Paul. It's hard to argue with the math...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

wanna hear a 'funny'???

helping a guy adjust a throttle body injector system onto a

259.. computer under the front seat.. 3 small screws to adjust it.. this unit needs a different adaptor plate depending on the family of motors.. FORD, GM, or Chrysler.. so, its setting on 2 plates.. the same unit will fit and is adjustable for up to a 400 inch I believe he said..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me