42 Commander front brakes locking up-help

Hello: My 42 stude is still at the shop for brake.work. It's together now,but both front brakes lock up, no problem with the rear. The pressure can be released by bleeding either -the left or right side, it doesn't matter which side is bled. I have a new flex hose on the left front and left rear, couldn't find a right front flex hose- S.Allen had none. Wheel cylinders are rebuilt, shoes new.rear brake line new,rear drums turned. Could the Hill Holder cause the front to lock? If so, could it be bypassed on a 42-it's jonied . to the master by a. fitting. The shop doesn't understand why the front is locked and the rear is okay.

Regards,Sheldon. .

Reply to
shel_elias

I thought the hill holder worked on the rear brakes, but it's worth looking into (I'm not familiar with cars that early.) Also check your brake pedal free travel...

good luck

nate

Reply to
N8N

Unlike later Studebakers, brake adjustment is made by turning the two eccentric spring loaded nuts on the backing plate(s). I have a that some one turned the eccentrics at the wrong time. To adjust, you turn one nut tilll wheel turns freely in one direction, then turn the other nut until wheel turns in the opposite direction.

Once both fronts are free, then turn each nut until brakes grab etc tehn back off, repeat all the way around. BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

More than likely the pushrod on the mastercylinder is too long. It is adjustable in lenght. When the piston in the master cylinder does not go back far enough it will lock the brake fluid in and will not let the fluid go back into the master cylinder reservoir. Adjust the Master cylinder push rod for !" travel before it starts to push the piston.

It could be also that when the master cylinder was rebuilt that they forgot to drill the vent hole in the repair sleeve. (not likely) R.Kapteyn snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

Reply to
Robert Kapteyn

Good thought Robert, I have seen improperly installed sleeves. BTW, I got the shock for my 38, thanks! Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George