42 studebaker locking brake problem

Hello: My 42 stude commander has been at the shop for at least two months for brake work. Now has new shoes, wheel cylinders either rebuilt or replaced, and rear drums turned,and new rear brake lines. Brakes have been bled, but mechanic says brakes on left side lock up, right side is fine. I suspect a flex line problem. Any ideas, pedal seems firm. I don't remember if emergency brake works off left side.

Regards,Sheldon

Reply to
shel_elias

It is the front or rear that locks up?

Reply to
Lee

entire left side front and rear

Reply to
shel_elias

entire left side front and rear

Reply to
shel_elias

I would pull the drums on that side of the car (actually, BOTH sides of the car) and check the little block that is installed on the pin where the shoes 'rest' and the brake return springs attach. There is an arrow stamped into them that shows which way they should be pointed. If these are installed facing the wrong direction, they will wedge against the drum and the brakes will lock hard.

Don't ask how I know this....

Reply to
Lee

Hello Lee: What part is this arrow stamped into? You refer to it as them Is the arrow in the shoes,block , or return springs?

regards,Sheldon

Reply to
shel_elias

Had that problem with an old Jeep Cherokee I had once. Turned out that both sets of leading edge brake shoes were installed on the same side. Swapped one out of each to the othside and had no more problems.

Reply to
D.J.

The part Lee is refering to is the tapezoidal shaped washer that is on the brake anchor.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

I did not read the header closely enough and assumed this was on the later brakes.... did the '42 have this piece as well?

Reply to
Lee

I want to say that a '42 brake is not self energizing and therefore has no anchor pin, but don't hold me to that.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel