'48 Land Cruiser heading to the Jimmy Carter Library

Well, looks as though Jimmy Carter found him a '48 Land Cruiser. It was in Brunswick at a import garage where me and my grandad spotted it a few months ago at a chapter meeting. We stopped in and found out the owners name and looked over the car. Anyways, to make a long story short, the owner decided to donate it to the Library and we were in charge of getting it and storing it. It's a nice orignal car, with about 50% of the original paint still on it. The interior is really nice, except the front seat. The big six engine runs really smooth and strong, although the clutch disk is stuck. We tried cranking it in gear and even drove it down the road, but nothing freed it up. Does anyone have any tricks that might help; OTHER than pulling the trans?

Pics later.

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

Pictures here.

Matthew

mbstude wrote:

Reply to
mbstude

Get three people. One to sit in the driver's seat and hold down the clutch pedal; the other two at the front and rear of the car to alternately push and pull (i.e. "rock" the car, as in extracting from mud or snow).

Put the transmission in HIGH gear, OD locked out, if so equipped. "Driver"should be ready to stomp on brake if clutch breaks loose and car starts to roll.

Constant reversal of torques should free clutch easily.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I'm sure my grandad will see this. We tried numerous times cranking it over going forward and backwards. It only has front brakes, so we mashed the brakes and cranked it over and dub holes in the dirt with the rear tires. I tried for a while in high gear and it didn't help. We had the OD handle out. We'll give this a try though. It sounds like it may work.

Matthew

Gord> >Well, looks as though Jimmy Carter found him a '48 Land Cruiser. It was

"Driver"should be ready

Reply to
mbstude

I'm glad they put the museum in Atlanta... Having been to Plains, GA..... I could never imagine it there ... But eight bucks just to go in? Yikes! Jeff

"mbstude" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Gord, when doing this, the 'driver' is holding the clutch in and cranking the car? How would the person in back pull the car back with it cranking?

Matthew

mbstude wrote:

(i.e. "rock" the

"Driver"should be ready

Reply to
mbstude

Don't use the starter at all. It's the motion of the car against the slack in the driveline that puts the torque on the stuck clutch. Like a giant self-reversing impact wrench. :>)

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Well, that settles it. I could never own a Land Cruiser..... I don't have enough friends Jeff (Well, maybe enough to push me over the cliff ) Rice

"jerrystudebaker" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Good place for it. They should place it right next to the MLK memorial to make it convenient for visitors making their pilgrimages.

Reply to
Barry

What's in that museum anyway? A large chronicle of his failures??

JT

Barry wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I did the same thing with the Power Hawk when the clutch stuck a few years ago. Funny thing is that it never stuck in the previous forty years and hasn't since...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

------------------------------------- Lots of sandy and broken helicopter parts.

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Reply to
transtar60xxx

Amen,

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You mean like the one that attacked him while he was fishing in a rowboat?

JT

" snipped-for-privacy@earthl>

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
transtar60xxx

I remember a political cartoon that likened it to "Jaws."

JT

" snipped-for-privacy@earthl>

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Speaking of Jimmy Carter fishing, we had a funny story here (in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia). The Prez liked to come out to Leetown, WV to the Nationals Fisheries Center to fish. He didn't helicopter like they do now, just drove out (60 or so miles from the White House). One time coming out the Secret Service made the mistake of choosing to motorcade down WV 230 near Shepherdstown at the same time that an old farmer always drove his cows down the highway from one pasture to another. Needless to say, the cows couldn't have cared less about a presidential motorcade so they took their usual time making the trip. Secret Service was going crazy (thought it was a setup). It made the national news briefly, but wasn't as memorable as the "bunny incident". BTW, he still goes fishing with the retired director of the Fisheries Center. A couple years ago Bob Putz, a neighbor of ours, took him to Alaska fishing. Bob brought us back a big slab of halibut and a big salmon so I guess we were eating presidential fish. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

snip

Heh... I sure hope you didn't catch any of the cahtah syndrome!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire