51 Commander Overheating Problem

Hey Studedudes,

I recently acquired a 51 bulltinose Commander V8 which is having a rather vexing problem with highway overheating. Wondering if you guys have any ideas?

You can drive the car at 30-50 MPH all day without any problem, but when you get it out on the highway, over 50, the heat will slowly rise until about 30 minutes into the drive it will begin to overheat.

Yes, both upper and lower hoses are clear and they both have the springs in them. I have replaced the water pump, which made it run a tad cooler, but it still runs just above the high end of normal, and very near hot. I have removed the thermostat, without improvement. I've also flushed the system twice so far first time with Studebaker- Packard flush and neutralizer, and the second time with Prestone flush. No appreciable difference, although both times there seemed to be alot of rust or brownish crud that come out with the flush.

There is no oil in the coolant, and no coolant in the oil, and no sign of leaking anywhere. This engine has the standard 4 blade fan.

Do you have any ideas, or any suggestions? Do you think that by flushing and re-flushing a few times I: may get some crud outta there which may be still stuck? What do you think is better, Studebaker- Packard flush or newer Prestone?

Thanks for your thoughts!!!!

-George-

-51 Commander

-56J

-63 GT Hawk

-63 Champ

Reply to
reichsrundfunk
6 or V8? if the motor has never been rebuilt, pull the back freeze plugs and see if there is a LOT of sand/stuff in the block from when cast. also IIRR, on the 8 there is a tube that goes from front of block to back end, that takes the radiator water to the BACK of the block. yours may or may NOT be like this, but its just things I read here and there.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

If you have not removed the core plugs and flushed the block that would be the first thing to do. Just flushing won't do it. After removing the core plugs you will need to use a stiff peice of wire to scrape it loose and then flush some more.

Reply to
studeblu

Define OVERHEAT.

I thought my cruiser was until I checked the actual radiator temp with two long cylindrical kitchen thermometers.

On a 1962 Lark, 3/4 of the way to "H" is 185º

Dave Miller

P.S. the water tube idea sounds good. I hear they corrode and collapse

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

I have noticed this too I think that the gauges were factory calibrated so that the thermostat rated temp. was 1/2 scale. e.g on your '62 it would have been 170F. thus it can be at more than 1/2 scale and still not be considered "overheating."

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Classic symptoms of a plugged radiator. Unless you have had it rodded lately, it may be time to visit your favorite radiator man...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Dave not trying to be a smart ass but a 51 Commander would be a V8 and they don't have a water tube.

Reply to
studeblu

Yeah, like it or not, the dreaded block clean out along with radiator rod out sounds like the cure... Don't be surprised if your radiator falls apart when they try to rod it... Hot weather is around the corner for some and already starting for others. As many as I have done, that job still sucks. After I finish doing one I always think about raising my price for the job... Is Matthew listening? He needs to suck it up and do this on his new ride BEFORE the Cairo show....every time I mention it to him he ignores me.... Over the years I have noticed that each engine seems to be different as far as running temperature even when all is clean. Some run hotter than others even though they are the same engine in the same car with the same accessories, etc. I think this is due to differences in the block and/or head castings. Studebaker George PS here in the hot south larger fans, smaller diameter (the one for factory AC cars) water pump pulley, fan shrouds and bigger radiators are sometimes needed to keep things cool... I noticed that T Bow is selling V8 Lark fan shrouds that might also be a help for Lark owners.

Reply to
Studebaker George

Yep, after fifty-one years, the core of the Power Hawk was extermely "shaky" according to my old time radiator guy. So, I had him do a three row recore of course when copper prices were through the roof! $425!!

My old T-Cab had a three row radiator (NOS) and that vehicle never exhibited any tendency to overheat. Two row versions though are a real crap shoot in these heeyah pawts...

JT

(Oh, and five to seven bladed fans help a lot!)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire
Reply to
reichsrundfunk