'55 coupe update

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIVE!

Lee D. was kind enough to send along a Hurst 1-2 shift rod that actually worked, and Brian Scott sent a whole old stock kit as well (thanks to both, this group is awesome.) So I can select all gears now, engine is back in car, Borg and Beck clutch works, so does the aluminum intake and the AVS carb. Amazingly enough it started right up "out of the box" with just a little timing tweaking.

Only current issues are a) front end of car is still all apart, and I just discovered that my hood hinges have been sitting in the parts washer for about a month and the paint on them has now turned into some soft, varnish like goo :( b) I think I have a brake or two adjusted too tight, car felt like it was "binding" and stalling the engine in reverse but after playing with it a little bit, it doesn't roll free with the clutch pushed in either. (aluminum flywheel makes it a little easier to stall than your average Stude... but sounds great!) c) transmission is loud... guess I have another project to do, but at least 1st, 2nd, and reverse work fine, just makes a little more whining than I'd like. Even without any tuning other than setting the idle mix and pump shot, response in 2nd gear is very nice indeed. Rear end makes no noise, and I did not test its capabilities but seems to be fine (on jackstands, there's at least some limited slip action)

Have to give props to the engineers at Chrysler too... i have an "orange box" ignition and stupid me hooked it up from memory when rewiring the engine compartment, let some smoke out of the transistor but got a big fat spark after just moving the stray wire to where it was supposed to be. That orange box is tough enough to legitimately be on a Stude! :)

Still to do: detail hinges, fan shroud, underside of hood and reinstall all front end sheetmetal/chrome. Finish cutting hole in floor and install shift plate and boot. Readjust brakes so car rolls freely in neutral. Install clutch assist spring (ugh) maybe lean out the carb (650 CFM AVS) one step on the primaries. Then think about rebuilding a transmission... uncharted territory! (seems like I'm acquring new skills every day...)

In any case, I feel a lot better about the car today than I did yesterday, I can see functional transportation in my future...

nate

Reply to
N8N

Wow! So it's almost ready for sale so you can start on your next project!

Reply to
Dwain G.

Your right Nate if your Trans is making noise its not the MT-90 . I am using it in the T-10 in Pinky and in both my trucks with 5 speed OD Trans. that is notorious for being noisy and if any thing it has made them much less noisy. And the shifting is much smoother in all.

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

I'm not sure if N8 has even driven a Studebaker with no carpets and a hole in the floor right over the tranny. I suggest he get the car back together before he blames the transmission.

Jerry Kaiser wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I drove the '62 for quite a while with no carpet, but never with the gaping holes. Even if I do have to put new bearings in it it is not the end of the world, at least I got everything working together.

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Hell, The fastest Stude I ever drove was an SuperHawk with the entire body removed. Stuck a bucket on a board and wired it all down. Would smoke the tires in a heartbeat.... Buzzed all around the neighborhood. That was sometime around 1971 in Glen Ellyn Illinois.. That thing made a bunch of weird noises.... Jeff (Too bad it was in March and I froze my eyeballs...) rice

"John Poulos"wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice