55 Pickup

questions.. E5 PU doors? what fits other than PU.. Which car? these are gutted and it would probably be simpler to get a junk car that has all the internal door stuff, than get pieces to replace all these thats missing

Front end- any 'other than' Stude parts give the front wheels disk brakes? and leaving the axle thats there present? the wheel bearing part is what I am wanting to change-got a bad king pin so its got to come out anyway. OR what complete axle assembly off what would give more modern brakes? rear end will be replaced.. as its the tapered axle assembly.

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to
me

The doors are truck-only. And really, there isn't that much to them.

Call Jim Turner for the disc brake setup. I wouldn't worry with the tapered axles in a truck. I've heard of a few cars that broke an axle, but never a truck. And they seem to have had rougher lives than cars, too.

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

The 1955 C-cab as are all C-cabs all truck. No car doors, hoods, or fenders on it.

The truck rear axle may be tapered but it has larger bearings and shafts.

I have never heard of a truck Dana 44 breaking an axle. Ask Lester Schmidt, I think he lives down your way somewhere. Or go to the Studebaker truck page.

He has or had the million plus mile Transtar 1/2 ton.

snipped-for-privacy@notanywhere.net wrote:

Reply to
Transtar60

am wanting something gear wise OTHER THAN whats in there now.. probably pretty steep as far as an 'economy' gear

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to
me

On my '59 PU, we took the 'guts' out of a '60 Hawk differential, and put them in the truck housing. Instead of 4.27 gears, I have 3.53's.

Matthew

Reply to
mbstude

the 'previous owner' GUTTED the doors, and part of it went with an air chisel. no regulators, handles, glass tracks, moulding, or vent window parts

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to
me

not parting with my 60 Hawk that way, besides its got 2.42 gears I think,,but its a thought.

--Shiva--

** Posted from
**
Reply to