56 Golden Hawk engine question

Might be going shortly to look at a '55 K that supposedly has a '56 Packard engine in it.Whats the easiest way to tell if it's a 374 or a smaller cube version? I admit to being unfamiliar with Packard stuff.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

I don't think there *is* a way, short of checking the numbers and/or checking displacement somehow (oil in cylinders, pull a head and measure bore, etc.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

There's a chart with "engine # series" @

. Looks like it's the prefix of the engine serial #. Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

Wow! What insanity! My parents bought a new Ford from Mosehart Keller in '63, the first year that they sold Fords. They had been selling Studes since 1889 or so. I fell in love with some of the left over '62 models on their lot & some of the nice used Hawks. I was 9 then, & could not convince my Dad to buy one of the marked-down new '62 Studes. Shame. Are you from Houston, Allen?

Reply to
Barry

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

If it is a "55, there is a good chance it might be a 374 as the Packard engines were not available until the 1956 model year. Someon might have repowered it, and back then the easy way woould have been to use a Packard

352/374. What does it have in the way of carbs on it? If there are two, the you could be assured it is a 374.
Reply to
Bill Glass

Why? Will the 2X4 intake not bolt to the 352 heads?

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

It was only factory installed on the 374, perhaps Bondo thought that if it had dual fours it was likely to be that engine although it would fit them all.

R1Lark wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

I thought the '55 Caribbean used a 352 with dual quads? Then in '56 they changed to a 374?

nate

Reply to
N8N

I didnt get to far into looking at it.No air cleaner on the 4 bbl carb and the engine was locked up.Had chrome valve covers with the Packard script...whoopee. Previous owner(deceased) was turning a 55 President into a

56 GH.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Barry

Reply to
Barry

Well, congratulations on 1) getting out of the Houston area, and 2) getting back into Studes!

Reply to
Barry

Engine numbers. Left front of block:S-11600 also 10555 Back of block near the bellhousing: A-572094 Passenger side below valve cover: 6480406CD/ The body has the tag on the firewall 56J-K7 but that was added on,I am waiting to find out if the title is for a '55 Stude or if it's for a '56 GH.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob