56J another question

Thanks for all the help regarding my steering wheel shaft pulling up and not steering the vehicle it's a big help and the information is great from everyone that answered. I think it's a long shot to ask, but I thought I would ask anyway about a couple of parts I'm looking for. Does anyone have a steering wheel for a 56J in decent condition and are willing to part with it? I'm also looking for a NOS or excellent tailight housing for the passenger side for this car, I do have a NOS drivers side to swap if anyone has one. Seems I have two NOS drivers side tailamp housings and I know they're very rare and hard to find. I would purchase either of these two items, or would swap the left side NOS tailamp for a NOS passenger side unit. Again thanks for the answers and the help. Chick

Reply to
Chick

Chick,

re: the steering wheel. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

um, OK. Sorry 'bout that. I have NEVER seen an old 56J steering wheel in anything resembing decent condition. If you must have a correct steering wheel, contact the Schrocks, they can recast yours, but it won't be cheap. It will look awesome however.

re: taillights. I saw 2-3 for sale at Reedsville, Jon Myer had one, so you may want to give him a call, and there were others floating around as well, but I don't remember who had them. I was looking for a regular

55-56 taillight housing, of course, and came up dry :(

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Chick

Chick, have you looked into the Eastwood restoration kit? I used it to repair and restore the steering wheel in my Avanti and it really is a good solution for you to consider.

Brooksie

Reply to
Brooksie

Brooksie, you must have never owned a 56J, the plastic turns to bread crumbs.

Brooksie wrote:

JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
Daytona HT

63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) 63 Avanti R1 63 Daytona convert 63 Lark 2 door 62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk 59 3E truck 56 Truck 55 Starlight 53 Starlight 52 Starliner 51 Commander 51 2R truck
Reply to
John Poulos

The Schrocks' current recasts look pretty darn good, IMHO. They look better today than they did a couple years ago. I think prices are somewhere around $700 though.

nate

Chick wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Oujdeivß

Yes, but as N8 pointed out, they are not cheap, like $650.

Oujdeivß wrote:

John Poulos

Whoops, missed that part of Nate's response.

p.d.

John Poulos wrote:

Oujdeivß

Chick, if you'd like I can scan the Eastwood restoration instructions for your review and email them to you off list. Don't know whether this is viable for you or not but let me know and I'll get them off to you.

Brooksie

Brooksie

I do not know who's recast wheels you looked at, the Shrock wheel is PERFECT, everyone who has gotten one is in love with them. I have the first one they cast. It is not an easy project. they take an old core, and take it down to bare frame then straigten the frames, and cast around them

You can use a wheel from a 1955 sedan, and unless soemone goes into your car with a tape measure you can't tell the diffference.

Reply to
Bill Glass

I used the Eastwood kit on a 56J wheel. If there are any hair line marks "visible" forget missing areas, the hairline cracks will bite you in the ass a year later. After 11 months of use, all my "repaired missing parts" were still intack, but the areas where the hairline cracks were, which looked strcturely good, fnally let go.

The "master" for the Shrock Brothers wheel was a NOS one that was nearly perfect. It was provided by a guy who flys for DHL, and he is very picky, and he was amazed at the Shrock Wheel when he got his.

Bill Glass