57 Chevy Convert

Check this out...

WayneC

I posted about that two days ago.( See 2007 - 1957 New Bel Airs) I just wonder how the cars will be "judged", the other question is where did all these cowls with serial numbers show up from? What was it a bunch of years ago when two AC Corbras were at the same car meet, or show, each with the same body number. Each car was built around a separate part from a documented car which was destroyed. I believe it was back then that the term "air car" came out. How would these 2007/1957 Chevies be classified at a show, and how would current owners feel about competing against them?

Unless the FAA has changed their rules since the 1970's, if you had the ID plate from a known aircraft, you could build anything around it and call it what ever the plate said it was, but if you took 10,000 man hours and duplicated a J-3 from original parts, and using the same manufacturing techniques Piper did, the FAA would classify it as experimental.

Reply to
Bill Glass

I don't think there will be all that many cowls needed, what maybe 30-40? They can probably use just about any 1957 cowl (2-door, 4-door, scrapyard find, etc.). I would think that if I were going to go through all the trouble, I would have put the old style body on a modern chassis and suspension.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
midlant

The prices these cars bring today is what's making this happen. I can't figure a scenario where they could build enough of these units to put any downward pressure on pricing. I imagine the "turnkey" version is priced even higher than the maximum value in the priceguides anyway!

A sharp judge will be able to tell one of these cars from an original. Over the past few years, I've noticed that as all cars have become more popular, we "purists" are becoming a smaller part of the hobby. It's not that the emphasis on originality is going away, just that demand outstrips the supply of original cars. Particularly with certain models. The '57 Chevy is one of them.

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

The SDC has a similar 'crisis' in a way.... There is no separate class for the new Avanti (AVX?)...(afaik) There is no way in heck that a new AVX Avanti should ever be judged in the same category as a 43 year old car. I hope the SDC has a solution for this.. Jeff

"Kev> The prices these cars bring today is what's making this happen. I can't

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Damn Jeff... . HUGE CAN-O-WORMS there! LOL...

You are talking about the STUDEBAKER Driver's Club so the AVX, not being a Studebaker, should not be allowed into judging... Actually, that is the same with the Avanti II. If a special class was to be created for these cars (like was done for modified) I don't see where there could be any problem.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I thought the SDC resolved that issue after the incident in Madison, during the 2000 meet. I was in the parking lot when a "modern" Avanti drove up with lettering below the trunk with the word STUDEBAKER. I walked away, but heard later it was not pleasant.

Reply to
Bill Glass

I'd forgotten about that, Bill! I do remember it now that you mention it.

Facts are facts though... Studebaker did NOT build an Avanti after the

1964 model year so there is no reasonable expectation for any Avanti II, AVX, or any other variation to ever be judged in the same class as an original.

In the interest of honoring the evolution of the original design, I do not see any reason there could not be a class designated for these cars but to even consider putting a non-stude in the same 'class' as a real one, to me, is crazy.

It would seem to make much more sense to me that the AOAI would welcome these cars more readily than the SDC.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Going back to the '57 Chevy, what if someone lifts a VIN tag off a rotted convertible with bad floors and frame, with it's original drive train intact? Then they remove and refurbish the drivetrain to stock specifications, and then install it in this aftermarket frame and body. Is that a restoration or something else? The Avanti is a little different in the fact those cars were built to Federal new car specifications and given birth with a modern VIN number.

This is even more of a gray area than those Pinto based Model A's that were built in the 70's & 80's. How much of a car can be replaced with new parts before it's not a restoration anymore? If the new parts are painstakingly recreated to be just like N.O.S., should it be considered Original?

I took it in the shorts at a show a couple years ago from a guy with a 1937 Packard that was professionally refitted with 1970's era Lincoln gauges and steering column. It even had a nameplate on the hood with the name of the retrofitter. I asked him what kind of kit car it was. He slammed me to the mat hard and I guess I deserved it. It took best of it's class at the all makes show.

This is why I like the shows set up with classes where you either compete on originality, or compete for perfection. Hobbyists more and more are wanting cars they can drive. This means in my opinion classes will have to be separated to keep peace among us, and the newer breed of hobbyist. We are a DRIVER's club anyway, right?

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

Reply to
John Poulos

The whole vintage auto rebuilding question is a fat can of worms.Older classics like those at Pebble Beach are ok to build from a tag yet if you build a LS-6 Chevelle SS from a plain Chevelle and dont call it a clone your in court.If I take a wrecked and rotted Super Lark and trasnsplant the rebuilt driveline and tags into a rust free 6 cyl Lark body that is a restoration? Better make sure to also swap out those secret numbers! The muscle car area is rife with guys doing body and tag swaps...and the courts are full of cases where the 'restorer' got caught

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

The day we flat bedded the convertible to my house, we stopped at a place near by called The Little Spot, hot dogs and hamburgers. While we were eating a guy pulled in with a 56 Chevy convertible on a flat bed that was barely recognizable from rust and destruction, behind the flat bed was a 56 Chevy Hardtop. on one of those dolly contraptions. It was obvious this was going to be an "air car" when done.

Not all but many local Studebaker meets are now putting all Hawks 1956 thru

1964 into the same class. I am making trophies for one such meet and questioned the reasoning behind it. Personally I would think that all "fin'd Hawks should have a class, rather than putting them up against GTs. They are also lumping all cars with the name Avanti into the same catagory. Even if they separated the 56 year Hawks by themselves it would level the playing field.

I am not entering so I am not looking out for my interests, but the 56's were a whole line unto themselves.

I dont make the rules, and if it doesn't move, I will print it somehow :)

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass