58 Golden Hawk Rear Valance

How hard it to find a 1958 Golden Hawk Rear Valance?

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

you mean the "gravel shield" as the parts book calls it? Not very; they're the same 58-64.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

I believe that Classic Enterprises has them in fiberglass.

Mike Williams

I think I have a couple of those laying around. I don't know what they go for, though. Is $25 plus shipping too much? Let me know.

Reply to
salstude

I'd expect him to take you up on that offer, that sounds like a good price to me... make sure you send him the right one. The '55-57 version has the tailpipe cutouts farther apart than the '58-64. Not sure exactly how to describe how to identify the difference other than to say that the early one does not come down as far towards the ground outboard of the tailpipes as it does between them - I hope that makes sense (otherwise they look very similar.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate, How do I know then? I thought someone just said that they were all the same. I don't pay much attention to details like that since my cars are all hot rods. Stude powered hot rods... but hot rods nonetheless.

Reply to
salstude

I'm going to try to stop by JP's today (would have liked to have put in a full day of car work, but stuff happens,) maybe I can take some pics of my '55 vs. a GT Hawk for you.

The location of the cutouts really is important if you are still using stock (or Silvertone, etc.) exhaust pipes. I had to swap the panel on my '55 as it had a later one on it when I bought it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Ain't the sedan and c/k the same?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Y'know, I have no idea. I just know there's three different versions of the C-K valence (single, early dual, late dual) I don't mess with those big boxy cars too much

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

here ya go:

please ignore the rusty backup lights and trim ring :) (JP made me put the trim ring on to show me what I already knew, which is that baby moons really need trim rings and then they look good.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I think that they are all similar on the lower backside including suspension...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I have at least three out at my place. I'll take some photos and measurements this coming weekend.

Regards,

Kevin

Reply to
Studebakerboy

Nate what year VW are your back up lights from ? I need a pair for my 53 coupe.

Reply to
Jerry Kaiser

Jerry,

I believe that those are '67 only Beetle lights, mine are cheap repros from CIP1 - I have *one* of the "real deal" German Hella lights that I picked up at York of all places but I haven't found a mate for the other side yet. The chrome on the repros makes the R1 air cleaner chrome look good :)

I mounted them on repro Beetle brackets, and only had to bend them slightly to tuck them under the bumper so they looked right.

Of course, you could always drill your trunk lid for the correct factory accessory lights... (I took one look at a Speedster trunk lid and saw that that wasn't going to happen on my car.)

I have also considered trying a 57-61 taillight without the fin chrome; not sure if that would look good or not. I think it might, and if one were real clever one could probably work an amber turn signal and a backup light into the lower lens with judicious use of LEDs. However I don't know that it would actually look *as* good as the stock '55-56 housings.

Another option would be to use Harley-Davidson motorcycle turn signals with clear lenses, to closely replicate the '56 Hawk backup lights.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel