58 Packard HT, first look

Sal drove our new Packard out for pics, they are here:

John Poulos

Oooh, very nice!!! I am jealous!!!! Flathead

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

So what can you do to a dash in that condition?

Reply to
The Other Dave

Whatta boat... I luv it!

Biggest project I see is the dash cover rehab...

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

John: are you working on the Scotsman you showed a few weeks ago, to sell it?? It looked prettysharp on the back of the flatbed a few weeks ago. bob.c

Reply to
Bob Coleman

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

That is a very cool car and would be a blast to drive but... I really hate to say this about an S/P product but when you come right down to it IMHO that is an ugly car.

I'd still like to have one though .

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I believe that color masks the ugly headlight pods better than any I've seen. A really interesting car- appears to have no power steering, but does have power brakes and factory a/c. Wonder what it would take to get the a/c operational? I think the power windows are something aftermarket- the hardtop should have power for all four windows with a four-switch gang on the driver's door (it doesn't even have a 2x). Anyhow, that's a great car. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

The door switch is MIA, just a generic switch for the one door on that one.

Paul Johns>> Sal drove our new Packard out for pics, they are here:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
John Poulos

I wonder... if the material the cover is OK and it's just the filling that's shot what about shooting it full of Great Stuff?

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Sorry 'bout that. I don't know how I missed that p/s pump- must not have scrolled the picture all the way down. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Hey! Dat cah iz serius compitition fer da DeSoto finny munsters of the era...

JT

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The Packard Hawk I recently drug home has no power steering, tinted glass, or rear antennae, and no evidence that any were ever installed on it. I had assumed these items were standard equip. What do you experts say? I plan on ordering a build sheet soon. The car is a 64K mi original with excellent dash, glass, trim, etc.& with everything working exc. brakes. Engine is still very good & blower seems to be good. The lower fenders are full of bondo since the car came from OH. It is better than most from that area, though. Barry'd in Studes

Reply to
Barry

Barry, These were all options on the Packard Hawk. Even the rear antennae. It is my understanding that the antennae were not installed on the cars but were shipped in the trunks along with other outside mounted parts like mirrors. My Packard Hawk has the dual antennae listed on the build sheet but has always had a fender mounted crank up antenna. Apparently the original owner changed his mind and wanted the front antenna and the dealer obliged. The rear antennae were a $11.95 option! LOL I have all the Accessories for 58 Packards listed on the website

along with the dealer price and the retail price. The ones listed under PH are the ones available on the Packard Hawks. MikeW

Reply to
Mike Williams

re: power windows .... does anyone know definitely if any of the

2hts had rear power windows???? Hawks didn't.......4 door sedans did....... this is the first 2ht with power windows 've every seen. early 50s Pontiacs also had 4 powered windows on 4 doors - front only on 2 doors.

re: the dash cover......anyone have a good fix for the deflated padded dash on 57 _ 58 Packards? Phantom used to over a hard cap that looked worse than the saggy padding.........I've seen a couple attempts at making a new cover that were also pretty bad and seeing more where the owner has just removed the padding altogether and painted what's underneath. I've considered trying to peel back the cover and stuff new padding - and even thought about shooting in expanding foam as someone suggested, but at 50 years old now, most of the original covers are pretty stiff.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Reply to
John Poulos