6 Volt starter problems

I receive many emails about starting problems with 6 volt cars. Here is a standard reply that may be interesting to some members. Some owners rip out the 6 volt stuff and install 12 volt system with the notion that 12 volt is better. The 6 volt systems were fine when the cars were new and they started fine. Converting to 12 volts creates many headaches.

The 6 volt stater had a problem with the stator insulation swelling up and when there is even the slightest wear on the bushings the armature will touch the stator and that physical contact robs the power. If you install new bushings in the starter it will normally solve the problems . You can also look at the inside stator and see rub marks, you can file these down a little on the armature also , but sometimes it is the insulation that is rubbing The 4 pole starter can be made by using a 6 volt Pontiac starter and install everything from the Stude starter and you will have to drill a hole for the locating pin. This is really not necesarry. An original starter should work fine. The Pontiac starters are rare and expensive. You can not install additional poles in yours as far as I know. An other problem is that the battery cable is of a too light a gauge wire. You can buy heavy #1 or #0 gauge battery cables at a tractor supply. Autozone and Napa also have these. On my own 6 volt cars I installed a ground cable from the positive of the battery ( these cars are using the positive post of the battery as ground and the negative feeds the car) directly to one of the bolts that hold the starter in. That really help cutting down the resistance. Any comments, corrections or suggestions are invited.

Reply to
rkapteyn

I have to agree with routing the ground cable to the starter bolt. It made the starter spin like 12 volt. Ray Fichthorn told me about that one... My original setup had the positive post forward and the ground was connected to the front of the water manifold. I flipped the battery around, used the old ground wire to connect the negative post to the starter solenoid, since the length was right and fabbed a new ground cable from 00 welder cable. Fabulous change...

Reply to
SilverStude

But but but, You have just ruined that car by not keeping it original just like Studebaker Corp. intended. Just imagine all the points you are going to lose when you have it judged at a Studebaker meet.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Yes, Jerry - but some of us are Studebaker DRIVERS, not Studebaker SHOW-ERS.

Reply to
zoombot
Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Reply to
dwcars

Yep, I used 00 welding cable on my 52 ragtop with a 289 and a flight 0 matic. I also left it 6 volt pos. ground. I like the idea of the ground cable going to the starter bolt! Mine cranks over fine, especially since I figured out what was draining the battery if I didn't start it for a week or 2. When I had the radio converted to am/fm, I had an extra converter installed for a cd changer. The converter that keeps the 24 hour juice to the cd changer was sucking the battery down, and if I did not leave it on a trickle charge during the week. I had to put a charger on it. I installed a cheap on off switch to the cd changer, and even after 2 -3 weeks, she'll fire right up. I'm going to try the cable to the starter bolt, makes a LOT of sense!

Jim (who needs 12 volts) Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner

Is there any benefit to the original style flat weave ground cables? I replaced mine when it corroded away with a size 1 cable and I have had trouble starting when the engine is hot ever since. Are the flat weave cables still available?

snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net wrote:

Reply to
northernstude

Reply to
John Poulos

farm tractor supply maybe???

1 is TOO SMALL.. try a 0 or 00

we need watts.. and every time you double the voltage, you can half the wire size.. and the converse.. so, whatever your car would take on 12 volt.. GET 2 wire sizes bigger for 6 v.. the flat braid was...like an inch wide and 3/16 thick or so? roll that into a ball and see how big a wire you got..

go to a welding supply store and have them make you the length you need and have THEM crimp on the ends.. --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Reply to
Kenneth Robinson