62 Hawk GT: Fan clutch installation question

Hello all- I was considering installing fan clutch part number 1560257. SI's page says "Fan clutch, 1963-64 all models with viscous including Avanti. Replacement unit saves power, gives better cooling and reduces noise." My question is did the motor have to originally have a viscous fan for this part to line up and be installed? Right now I have a standard shaft and 6 blade fan. I was thinking the fan clutch could save a little gas and move the fan forward into the fan cowl, closer to the radiator core. But I do not want to mess with it if it means jumping though alot of hoops. I might be willing to upgrade to a HD water pump if needed. I have no idea how old the water pump is on this car and I go through them almost as fast as alternators.

Tony in Austin

Reply to
Tony in Austin

Tony,

Any 63/64 Studebaker could have been ordered with this fan. However, I believe the replacement ones do not have the Temperature sencing ability. ( This isn't \supposed to be a problem as most of us don't drive them in cold weather. ) They do have the viscous ability.

I have one on my 64 R2 4-Speed Avanti, and am planning to put one on my

64 Dayt> Hello all-
Reply to
jeep4cyl

Thanks- you have some very cool cars. I believe you are correct. Replacements respond to RPM and not the temp. I also have a 3300 cfm electric fan new in the box I haven't really looked at yet for fit. I am not sure which project I was going to use it on yet. Has anyone out there put fan clutch part number 1560257 onto a 1962

289? Is it a direct fit to the 1962 water pump? Tony
Reply to
Tony in Austin

Reply to
Big E