64 to 66 parts interchange question

I have a 66 Commander 4 door, 6 cyl auto. A guy came up to me in a parking lot to ask about the car. He ended up telling me that he had a 64 Stude for sale, and was I interested. I asked what condition it was in, and he said it needed restoration and had been sitting a while (which here in the Northeast usually means it is outdoors and it has sunk about 10 inches into the mud and has extensive rust...but every once in a while you get lucky and find a decent "barn fresh" car). So I said I'd like to take a look at it, and how much did he want for it. He said $300.00. I could not ask more questions as he said had to be going, but I got his tele no.

So, I have to call him midweek to work out a time for me to look at it. If it ends up being a pretty rough parts car and not worth restoring, what parts would interchange with my 66? (I know the grill, head lights, tail lights, trim, etc are different). I'd like to have a spare windshield, would the 64 fit the 66? How about the bumpers, front end parts, sheetmetal, radiator, rear axle, steering box? I know the 64 will not have the "chevy" engine mine has, but if it has the auto trans will that interchange with the auto trans in my 66? Any responses would be appreciated.

Reply to
Jim D

Basically, the '64 and '66 are identical except the trim and engine/transmission.

All the suspension and sheet metal parts (except the front fender aprons behind the headlights) are the same.

The gauges and pretty much all other electrical parts are interchangeable.

The steering box, column, and linkage is all the same.

I THINK the transmission in your '66 will have a cable where the '64 has a solid rod for the the kick-down on the transmission so it would take some engineering to make that work.

As long as one is not a convertible or station wagon and the other a sedan or hardtop, all the glass will swap. The convertible and station wagon had a taller windshield than the sedan and hardtop.

All the side and back glass is the same (sedan and wagon)

The $300 sounds like a good price, really... If it has power steering, it is worth it right there. After that, switches, gauges, alternator, radiator, sheet metal, glass and so on are just free parts

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Was the 64 a 6 or a V8?

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Thanks for the responses. I did not find out of the 64 was a 6 cyl or 8 cyl as the guys wife was waiting for him in his car, and it was apparent that he had to get back to her ASAP, so other than getting his number and asking what condition the car was in, I have no other info at this time. Considering that a replacement windshield from one of the Stude parts companies seem to all be priced over $300, I most probably will get the car unless it is a really clapped out wreck with few usable parts.

Reply to
Jim D

If it's a V8 it would have the full flow block. It it is a 289, that alone would be worth the $300.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno