65 Fuel Pump Problem

This morning when I was going to work, I started the Cruiser as usual and got it backed about halfway out of the garage when it died. It restarted easily, I figured the choke just didn't get set and tried again. This time it died and would not restart. I have a full tank of gas. I checked for gas in the throat of the carb--nothing. I poured a bit of gas in the carb and the engine fired, ran about 20 seconds then died. Okay, a no fuel condition. I pulled the gas line off the carb and cranked, nothing there, so it's not a filter problem. Decided to take the day off

First thing I did was make sure the line from the tank to the fuel pump wasn't clogged. It's not as I got a nice mouthful of gas when I sucked on the line. Then, I blew the line from the pump to the carb. It's clear. It's the fuel pump.

I pulled the pump off. When I actuated the lever--no pumping at all. So what the heck, take the pump apart and see what happened. I opened the pump up and it looked nice and clean. I worked the diaphragm by hand and could hear a sucking action. The only thing I found amiss was a little dime-sized metal screen which wasn't quite pushed into its hole. I pushed that back in, then reassembled the pump. I put it in a bucket of gasoline and worked the arm--gas squirts out. Oh God, now I'm thinking something's worn in the engine which is keeping the arm from actuating. The actual arm looks good, and I gave the finger test inside the block. All nice and smooth there (70,000 mile motor).

I scratch my head and put it all back together. I left the gas line undone at the carb when I cranked it. Nothing. Nada.. Okay, take it apart again.

I removed the pump and put it back in the bucket of gas and tried the arm again. It works. I decide to replace the pump. Napa doesn't stock it and it's not available. He recommended an electric pump. I'm not ready to go there just yet. So.....

Prime the pump again, and reinstall. This time when I crank, I get a nice steady stream out of the fuel line. Hookup the carb, and the engine fires after about 15 seconds. It's running now.

But, I'm scared. What do you think happened here?

Mark

65 Cruiser
Mark Anderson

You may have a small pinhole between the tank and pump which will cause the pump to lose prime.

But, you can use my cure for all daily driver fuel pump issues... An electric pump!

JT

Mark Anders>

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I think something got lodged in the fuel pump and I dislodged it when I dissassembled it. I reinstalled it and an inline filter and was good to go. I did buy a new pump, which has relegated itself to a primo location in the trunk;)

Did you know you can swap one of those fuel pumps in less than 5 minutes?

Mark

65 Cruiser
Grumpy AuC> You may have a small pinhole between the tank and pump which will cause
Reply to
Mark Anderson