66 Brake Shoes NAPA Nos.?

I'm looking for the NAPA or Wagner Lockheed Parts Numbers for the front and rear brake shoes for a 66 Commander (six cyl). My local "good" NAPA Parts guy no longer works there, and the other guys cannot work the paper catalogs and the computerized listings like he could. I know someone posted them on the NG before, and although I wrote them down, I now cannot find them. I'm sure NAPA can get the shoes, even if all I can get is the 3 digit wagner prefix number for the shoes. I think they also fit some of the 60s era Checker cars too.

Reply to
Jim D

six front/ V-8 rear: 176 six rear: 158

and someone just posted the number for the 11" (v-8 front and disc rear) shoes and I'll be goshdarned if I can find it now that I am trying to find it again to add it to my list.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've posted these before, won't hurt to do it again.

'54-'66 6 cyl

front 176* rear 158

'54-'66 V8 (drum)

front 177 rear 176*

'63-'66 V8 (disc)

front S702** rear 173

Notes:

  • Wagner calls out the 326 in their later catalogues
** Ferodo DDB704, M>
Reply to
randee

Thanks! duly noted...

what's the difference between the V-8 fronts and disc rears? I just assumed that they were the same, but haven't worked on enough factory disc cars to pick up on it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Disk rears use Lockheed non-energyzing brakes. Different shoes...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Thanks for the help. Up until about a year ago, you could use the online NAPA search engine to find these shoes, but apparently they decided to delete the info from their database.

Reply to
Jim D

V8 fronts are 11x2-1/4". Disc rears are 11x2". The shoes styles are markedly different.

FWIW, the 176 also interchanges with a 4 and a 247. From what I can tell, the only difference between the 176, 326, 4 and 247 might be some slight differences in the holes sizes for the springs. The diagram chart I have at hand at the moment does not call out dimensions.

-- wf.

Reply to
randee

They are different style shoes, as well as different shoe sizes (11x2-1/4 vs 11x2 for the disc rear). However the disc rear brakes are in fact a Bendix design, not Lockheed (Stude used Lockheed brakes in some 50's models). SnapOn even calls their cam adjusting wrench a 'Bendix brake wrench'.

And they are, in fact, a self-energizing design (forward shoe is self energizing in the forward direction, the rear facing shoe is self energizing when backing). However they are not a servo action design (sometimes called a 'duo-servo' design) wherein the forward shoe is 'tied' to the rear shoe. The drum fronts are both self energizing and servo action brakes.

Discussed perhaps a little more thoroughly in an earlier post.

Reply to
randee