A Cheap Lark Convertible

The seller says that the top can be used to make a hard top into a convertible. Anyone ever try this?

Michael - Roseland FL

I think it's a little more involved than that; you'd not only need the top but also the X-member for the frame, the weights on the nose, the quarter windows, and the panel between the top and the trunk. Also you'd have to pop out the windshield and graft in the header panel somehow. The rear seat and rear interior panels are different as well. Not sure if the mounting points for the top mechanism are present on the inner quarters of the HT or only on the convertibles. The center part of the exhaust is completely different and I think maybe the e-brake cable as well. Those are just the things that come immediately to mind; there probably are other differences as well. Probably possible but something beyond my skill level.

nate

Reply to
N8N

By the time you did all that, you might as well have fixed the original. These things aren't THAT rare...I junked out a 62 Daytona 'vert a few years ago because it was too rusty to mess with even though it was running and driving. Added up the costs to fix it and in the end I could have bought TWO better ones for what I would have had in it. Sometimes sanity creeps on in... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Reply to
Robert Black

Well if someone wants to do it with a 64-66 four door I have an extra complete roof that I cut off a 64 that I parted out. And it is free to any takers just come and get it.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

Why would you need a roof if you are going to cut it off?? Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I know of at least one C/K convertible made from Lark convertible pieces, so it does have some potential value there. Not for the faint of heart of course.

S2DSteve

Reply to
Steve Hudson

Jim Maloney's '54 Commander convertible used Lark parts.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam