A day at the ACD show

I saw only 2 Studebakers, a late 2-tone green '53 Champion coupe with early wheel covers, nice interior (but drab) and exceptionally nice paint.

AND the newest-looking '62 Hawk in existence. This car is white with NEW everything! Has what appears to be a new, correct blue interior, trunk-mounted antenna, correct exhaust deflectors and REAL wire wheels. If it doesn't bring a zillion bux at the auction then these folks just don't like black-eyed peas!! Took some pix but don't know how to put 'em on here.

Of course there are the other brand X cars there but these were the only Studebakers I saw. And the real fun starts tomorrow, tho many vendors were selling today. And I was told that some cars had already been auctioned.

Did find one vendor with ONE box of Stude stuff. I conned him out of a plastic '54 shift lever knob for $8. He also had several '63 sedan parking light lenses and '63-'65 radio bezels, along with a late model NOS door/trunk(?) lock with 2 keys. Many 6-v bulbs. On another table I saw several trunk and underhood lights that LOOKED like the ones on my car but he didn't seem to know where they came from.

All in all, this seems to be shaping up to a VERRRY LAAAARGE swap meet! I'm not exaggerating when I say there must be THOUSANDS of vendors! Just not STUDEBAKER vendors.

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

Wow... Another second place GT Hawk, huh?

I saw only 2 Studebakers, a late 2-tone green '53 Champion coupe with

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Went today for the first time since 1986 to Auburn. Saw:

Gas Pump vendor with an early Hawk hood for sale Turquoise '63 Avanti R1 '52 Commander in Car Corral '48 Champion in Car Corral

Plus what had been mentioned before. The Hawk and '53 sell tomorrow and Saturday. Cars are still rolling in too.

Most rare Brand X I saw - a '53 Muntz. Obscure. Very obscure.

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

Reply to
midlant

Reply to
mbstude

I think that was a gray '52 Champion 4-door. When I came by, it had a big "SOLD" sign on the windshield and a big new owner lounging inside.

Then there was a maroon '49 (2 horizontal grille bars) Champion Starlight coupe in very good condition, also for sale. Had an average re-paint.

The first time I got married we bought a Rodeo Tan (Romantics that we were, we called it "Mouse Brown) '48 Champion 5-passenger coupe for $200 and headed for Texas. I think this maroon one was price at only $9000 more!

Went back and asked the guy the price on the underhood and trunk lights...$20 ea. He must have been watching e-bay!

John

Reply to
johnnywiffer