AFB- Throttle Shaft Re-bushing kit

I need to rebuild my AFB on my R-2 Lark. I sent it out once and got it back with what I will refer to as a cosmetic restoration. It had a new Factory warning sticker on it, all nice and clean and pretty. However the shop manual calls for sealing all of the screw holes with Permatex #2 as well as using TWO air horn gaskets on the R-2 AFB. This was not done. The most important thing, and I thought this was part of the rebuilding procedure was to re-bush the throttle shafts. That was not done. Leaking throttle shafts will cause the idle screws to practically be useless,due to vacuum leaks,fuel will piss out the sides of the carb under boost as well. You will probably even lose a little bit of boost . There was an article in Hemmings Muscle Machines about a shop called RaceKrafters that rebuilds AFB's properly. I wrote them and they replied they don't do mail order jobs. I had wanted to send them

2 base plates to rebush. I then went looking on the web and found this

It mentions that it will work on the Carter Thermo Quad. It doesn't mention the AFB however. It looks like the AFB throttle shaft is

3/8" . I believe it will work. I will be writing the company to find out before I spend the money. I already have a rebuild kit from Edelbrock, I'll buy one of their accellerater pump seal kits for a Marine carb, and if this tool works out I should have an AFB that is as good as new.
Reply to
jflan63

Dave T-bow sells the correct accelerator pump seal and it works great.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I had a Holley rebuilt by mail:

and I was pleased with their work. Their website says they do rebushing. I sent email questions to them several times before I sent the carburetor and I found them very responsive. Among other things, my carb had stripped threads on the large fuel filter housing hole, leaking badly, not an easy fix for an amateur like me. There was a minor problem with the configuration of the replacement throttle shaft lever when the carb was returned to me (the throttle linkage attachment hole was larger than was the original, too large to attach my linkage post). When I brought that problem to their attention, they overnight shipped several different types of attaching posts in an envelope just in case one type didn't work for me; I'm sure they would have replaced the shaft if those fixes didn't work. Anyway I thought they were easy to work with and tried hard to make me happy.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
WayneC

Woops, on second thought, the carb I had rebuilt by recarbco was a Rochester spread-bore; all my comments about the rebuild remain the same, I was just wrong about which make of carb they rebuilt for me.

Reply to
WayneC