Air filter for Edelbrock 1403

What air filter fits an Edelbrock 1403? I am putting it on my '63 Cruiser. There is 1/2" more clearance than the stock step up has.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

There is 1/2" more clearance than the stock step up has.

Any standard aftermarket air filter will work. In fact if you have an R1 you can just use a modern cheap Mr. Gasket air cleaner base with the R1 lid and element. I'm doing just that on my '55 coupe, but am using an older 'vette lid instead of the correct R1 lid (same size/shape, but louvered.) Otherwise just pick an aftermarket air cleaner you like and use that.

The size of the neck of a "standard" carb has changed somewhere along the line; I don't remember the exact dimensions of either but the original WCFB/AFB used the same size air cleaner as most other contemporary 4-barrels; the Edelbrocks conform to the new standard.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks for the info, Note.

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

This one;

or this one;
or this one;
or cut a hole in the hood and you can use this one;

Jerry Forrester

I'm not sure if it's an issue on the '63, but on the '64 the distance from the centerline of the carb to the torsion rods for the hood becomes an issue. An aftermarket air cleaner that appears to fit very nicely can be hit by the rods when you close the hood. Please don't ask me how I know this. You may want to check this on the '63.

Jim Bradley

'64 Dayt> What air filter fits an Edelbrock 1403? I am putting it on my '63 Cruiser.

There is 1/2" more clearance than the stock step up has.

Reply to
Jim Bradley

good point, I have only tried this on a '62 and it worked OK there. I think the hood is the same 62-63 but worth a check before slamming it down. (ask Lee about slamming hoods after new mods...)

nate

Jim Bradley wrote:

There is 1/2" more clearance than the stock step up has.

Reply to
N8N

I put an Edlebrook on my 52 ragtop, I used an air cleaner off a 62, I cut the center out and had a new center made to fit the Edlebrook. I used some of the epoxy adhesive and "gluded" the 2 parts together. Painted it and it looks "original" At least most people don't even look twice. I also drilled some holes in the bottom of the air cleaner (outside of the filter) to allow more air flow.

Jim Turner

Reply to
Jim Turner