Apples and Onions

Finally doing some test driving of the Champ I have been working on and it drives just like like every other Studebaker truck I have driven...like crap.... Truth is it will beat the snot out of you. It is kind of fun once you get used to it, but then it gets to be just a pain in the ass. My hat is off to you guys who drive these things on a regular basis. The Champ is a 64; my old Chevy is also a 64. Getting out of the Champ and into the Chevy is like going from a go cart (coal cart?) to a Caddy. Studebaker would have done a lot better if they had taken what little money they had and worked on a more modern suspension rather than toss it out he window on the whole Champ idea. Studebaker George ( fire away truck guys, I'm covered up)

Reply to
Studebaker George

Never driven a Champ, but I've heard similar comments before about the ride...although on the other hand a friend with two says that with radial tires it ain't bad.

You gotta admit though, even with the wide bed, the '64 Champ looks so much nicer than a '64 Chevy (and I'm from a Chevy family!) And, back then you had to pay to get a full-width rear window in the Chevy, couldn't get a sliding window, nor could you get a factory five-speed. I know, I know, these things don't compensate for antiquated suspension...but I love the looks of Champs!

Bill Pressler Kent, OH '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

Reply to
billslark

If it was supose to drive like a car then they would have made it a car, But it's a truck. . . more then you could say for that other piece of crap! I like the thrill of going 75 or 80 down the intersate bounding and over steering all the way. Keeps you alert! And that's what I going to say all the way to Omaha and back. George you are just getting too damn old and girly like.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Reply to
rustynutgarage

I was never a fan of straight axle suspensions, especially on short bed trucks. For ride & handling, it is hard to beat a Chevy truck, and their suspensions are durable too, if you keep them maintained.

Reply to
Barry

My '64 Champ 1/2-ton long bed was a very nice riding truck. Steering was another subject entirely. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

George,

I drove a '55 Stude 1/2 ton V8 pickup everyday for about 4 years. The frame, steering, and suspension is pretty much the same as the Champ (except for the weird steering setup on the 8E Champs). I thought the truck drove and handled very well.

There were a few areas that I concentrated on that IMHO made a big difference:

1) Steering - I rebuilt the steering box with new bushings, rotated the pins 90 degrees, a new post, and new tie rod ends on the reach rod. 2) Brakes - installed '63 Champ brakes 3) Springs/Shocks - replaced the front springs, disassembled/cleaned/replaced bushings on the rear springs; installed gas shocks meant for trucks 4) Installed radial tires and had the front end aligned by a place that does BIG trucks (ie, familiar with straight axle alignment)

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

You want a harsh ride? Try my '95 Dodge Ram 2500. Or better yet, you should have seen my 1-ton '60 4x4 Studebaker wrecker (now George Hamlin's). We stacked the old bed cab high with oak firewood and it didn't deflect the

30-leaf springs at all (exaggerating about the number of leaves, but not the deflection). Paul Johnson
Reply to
Paul Johnson

It's always been a no-no to grease between the spring leafs because it attracts grit that wears on the leafs. Considering that most of us don't drive our trucks on farm roads, I decided to see if some grease would soften up the ride on my '62 Champ. Wow! What a difference! I jacked up on the frame so the axles would hang, and used a needle tip on the end of my grease gun. As already said, gas shocks also make an improvement.

Reply to
Dwain G.

Hey... that's my idea of the perfect truck. '62-'66 Chevy Fleetside shortbed with big rear window and Custom Cab. I've thought many times of trading my Tundra in for a car (better gas mileage) and using the difference to buy a nice driver Chevy truck for when I need a truck.

Lee

1961 Studebaker Hawk (own) 1962 Studebaker Lark convertible (in progress) 1962-66 Chevy Fleetside shortbed (on the list to own) 1957 Chevy 4-door stationwagon (on the list to own) 1961 Chevy Corvette (want but low on the list)

That's all I want... and indoor storage for all of them. Kind of a mixture of taste.

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Just got back from a "turn around the block" with my 1953 Studebaker-Reo

2-1/2 ton 6X6, with 48-star fringed flag. Do not speak to me of little things.
Reply to
comatus

My '47 Commander had springs wrapped in light sheet metal. I have several NOS springs similarly wrapped. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
itraseecab

This is exactly what Norris Edmonds has done to his '57 Transtar 1/2-ton. He had some frame problems where it was mounted (weak) when he first drove it, but he now has a good frame and has reinforced it in the area of the box mounts. Unfortunately he may never drive it. He is in the hospital with recurrence of his long remission leukemia. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson