August Hemmings Classic Car mag - Loaded with Studebakers!

My Hemmings Classic Car for August arrived today. There is a '56 Golden Hawk on the cover! And the cover blurb says "Special Edition: Studebaker Sensations! 26 pages of America's Favorite Independant"

From what I have just flipped thru the various pages, there is much

positive ink for Studebakers, starting with the editors column. If you don't have a subscription to Hemmings Classic Car magazine, this may be one to look for at the newsstand - a good one to keep.

The next few weeks might be a great time to be selling a Studebaker on eBay!

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Sounds like a good one, but I want to hear BP's review first! He will catch and inform us of any errors, or things not correct on the featured cars. I know last August in Spokane, a photographer from Hemmings extensively photographed a '56 Flight Hawk belonging to Ralph Novarra, and that car is correctly stock. I don't get HCC via subscription, but from the newsstand, so I won't see it for another couple of weeks yet.

Craig.

Reply to
studebaker8

Craig and others:

I haven't reviewed the whole Studebaker Section in detail, but it looks quite good on a first read. The major article is by Patrick Foster. As a result of last issue's debacle, they "comped" Dick Quinn and I two-year subscriptions to review the Patrick Foster main article before it went to press for this issue, so neither Dick nor I are aware of any errors in it as it is printed. I don't have a copy of our corrections in front of me, but it appears they incorporated everything we suggested, or deleted parts they couldn't correct.

Elsewhere in this Studebaker Special edition, a caption below a 1963 Hawk implies it is a 1962, and the statement is made that the Lark Skytop option was new for 1963 (wrong).

The cover car and major restoration article is on Pat Doherty's 1956 Golden Hawk, the very car my father sold new at Palma-Rhoads Motors in Paris IL! The article has only one error that I see: they say the car was built in the Los Angeles plant, but it was not. It is a South-Bend built car. I don't know where they got the idea it was an LA car; possibly because it is now in Idaho and they figured that was closer to LA!

Overall, though, a nice issue with tons of good Studebaker press. I have already e-mailed Editor Lentinello a thanks and congrats.

All Stude-o-philes will want to buy an issue when they get to the newsstands, but that probably won't be for a couple weeks.

Cheers. Bob

Reply to
bobcaripalma

Thanks for the info, Bob. I know Pat Foster is a fan of the Independents, and his favorite is AMC. I have his "American Motors~The Last Independent" by him, and it is a very good book; even if you're not an AMC fan.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow

3 Cheers for Bob Palma and Richard Quinn!!!!!!! for getting the story printed correctly!
Reply to
52hawk