Auto trans question

I have a '64 cruiser with a 289 and auto tranny. It is a 3 spd tranny, but in drive it starts out in 2nd. So sometimes i start off in low and then shift up as if i was shifting a manual tranny (as in letting up on the gas for a second then shift) so i don't get a hard shift. So my question is: Does it hurt anything to shift this way? I don't do it all the time, but once in awhile it's nice to get a faster start.

Reply to
Pckstude

Theoretically, even if it is in "D" if you floor it, it should start in low if the linkage is adjusted correctly. However, almost everyone starts in "L' then shifts to "D" when they reach the correct speed. I have heard that the problem with starting in "D" is that it uses the front band--which is pretty weak in this trans. So using "L" is a good idea even if you don't want a faster start. Or you can install a "low start" valve body and save those machinations.

John

Reply to
fieronut

If the linkage is adjusted correctly, flooring the car from a standing stop will cause it to start in 1st gear...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh... I just answered the question about the same way you did. I shoulda read all the posts before answering!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire