Avanti engine install tip

N8 and I decided to drop the engine/trans back into the cheap Avanti today, something I had done perhaps a dozen times on other Avanti's. This time I decided to use my new four link engine leveling tool assuming that I could adjust the engine nose height as we went. Got it in about as far back as we could and the bell housing top kept hitting the tunnel about a inch short of the mark. At this point N8 was yelling "You have to drop the X member" and I was yelling back "Bullshit". N8 thought I was nuts when I told him we were going back to the old fashioned single chain hooked to two intake manifold bolts method. This time, we swung it in, pivoted it up and down as needed on the chain and five minutes later it was on mounts. So much for fancy tools, stay with what works. JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk63 Avanti R1

62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk 53 Starlight
Reply to
John Poulos

old dog = no new tricks!

Reply to
oldcarfart

The easiest way I found to put my Avanti engine back in (automatic transmission equipped) is to leave the transmission in it and it drops in very easy.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Reply to
John Poulos