Best Stude History Book

Guys, I don't own nor have I ever owned a Studebacker. Hell, no one in my family has ever even owned one but still, for most of my life Studebakers have been my favorite car manufacturer. Now retired, I have the time do some reading, any recommendations as to the best book on the Studebaker History? Note I prefer a book with lots of details not pictures. I would like an objective history not something written as a "Puff History". I'd like details as to not only the history of the car but also how the company was run, it's flaws and it's strengths.

Thanks for any suggestions

Bob

Reply to
Bob Nogueira

Bob- "More Than They Promised" by Thomas Bonsall is, in my opinion, a pretty good read on the Studebaker company.

" Studebaker Cars" by James Moloney is considered by some to be the Studebaker Bible. However, this book is large on illustrations and photos, short on text. It's a great reference.

I have not yet read the new offering by Patrick Foster, a long time orphan car champion. His book is advertised in Turning Wheels Magazine and elsewhere.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Mc Lean

If you can find a copy of "A Century on Wheels", that would make a good read. It was written in 1952 to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Studebaker as a company. Author - Longstreet

Or find Asa Halls & Richard Langworths "A Studebaker Century" - another good read.

Reply to
zoombot

You might look for Longstreet's "A Century on Wheels", written to celebrate Studebaker's 100th Anniversary in 1952.

Or find the excellent "The Studebaker Century" by Asa Hall & Richard Langworth.

Reply to
zoombot

Donald Critchlow's "Studebaker: The Life and Death of an American Corporation" is a true scholarly study. He's a history professor at Washington University (St. Louis).

Reply to
comatus