Bio-Fuel

Did anyone see tonights network news.? I did want to pos to the forum butit was interesting. Seems some of those who have been pushing bio-fuel forgot to place in their model the effects of turning land into bio-fuel. You can read the entire article on the nbc.com website as reported by Brian Willaims and then download the scientic paper written by the original author who pushed for it.

The basic premise is that by using land for bio-fuel,, specifically corn and some crops in South America actually raises the carbo by 20% an would take 48 years to break even.

On the same piece a bio-fuel spoksman defended the original proposal but their model was off, and did not take into account food costs.

If you get a chance, take a few min and read the pdf file. I am not taking sides bt found that the annoucement somewhat startlng

Reply to
Bill Glass

Bill,

I have seen the data that you are referring to. Yes, it seems that no one figured in the opportunity cost of using foodstuffs for fuel. You would think, however, that increased production and land useage would offset the costs and provide employment for those out of work. If you recall, George Washington Carver was working with Henry Ford on producing a bio-diesel fuel from soy beans. This was in the thirties, I believe. This issue may mean that we have to revisit our current economic model and go back to Adam Smith. I was recently at a seminar at the Fed Res Bank in NYC. One economist brought up this very point. We are, IMHO, due for a major shift in economic theory and practice if we our to survive. Just my .05 worth, I couldn't resist!

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

It gets even wilder. According to the History Chanel and some web sites there is a thing called Precession. This (according to them) happens every

26,000 years, and is supposed to happen again in 2012. I have looked up Prescession and got a lot of fancy scientific stuff, but what I get from it is that the earth moves it's poles about 3 degrees.

One site says GW is actually our getting closer to this Precession, as it won't be on a specific Tuesday in 2012 that the poles move, but we are sneaking up to it. So the ice melting up north is normal. Who knows, there was no film crews around 26,000 years ago to record the last time this happened.

As for Adam Smith and the economy, somebody does have to make a new model, the glue holding this model is not working.

Reply to
Bill Glass

I've read a couple theories where scientists have discussed the possibilities of the poles swapping places (North Pole is now the South Pole) or that the earth shifts 90 degrees along the axis (the North and South pole are now along the Equator). Some of this is the findings by the "Atlantis" crowd. Also remember that the Mayan calendar ends on December

21, 2012.

This could be more exciting than Y2K. I don't have an opinion on this... doesn't matter because either nothing will happen or we'll be so screwed we won't know what to do next.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

This is just a 2.5 to 3.2 shift of the nort pole, kinda like moving the center of a spinning top while it is spinning. If it goes to the left more ice, if it moves right, less ice.

I forgot about the Myan Calendar thingy. At least I get a birthday that year. 12/03/12..... I will be 68 when the ship hits the fan. Probaly by that time I will have a drool cup, and not remember who I am.

Reply to
Bill Glass

Ummmmmm... Maybe the no' pole will shift to Iran or Venezeula. Yeah, dat's da ticket!

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire