Black Avanti on Ebay

Just got back from the "Cruizin to Grove" Studebaker club function. It was put on by the Ozark trails and planned by Carl and Betty Purdy. Great time was had by all. A better report with picture links will follow. But in between one of the events, I had got ahold of the person who owned the Avanti and asked if some Studebaker people could come out and look at it. So we loaded up the Montero and went out Holiday Shores to see this mysterious "Black Beauty". I and Jim Caldwell, Wilber Kaylor and a very talented guy who owns a 56 flight hawk with a 6 cylinder with dual carbs and tail pipes, sorry I just can't remember his name. Anyway with directions that I had written down very badly,(I didn't expect them to be so complicated). We only got lost twice in finding the house. We all examined the beast, and enjoyed talking with the owner,about Avanti's in general. So here is what we found.

Good: Solid car, all there, most things work, did hear run. And itwasn't too bad, since it had been sitting for years. Also had not beensitting outside for all those years. Solid frame, and great hog troughs.Glass looks good.
with this pic and advance through the rest.The Bad: Needs paint, has had allot of paint put on it and it needs to betaken down to the gel coat. The doors sag,both sides. Interior needs to be redone.Carpet,side panels and headliner.Dash pretty shot.Brakes are questionable, and the gas tank is plugged and needs to come out.Bumper damage and fiberglass damage by the trunk. Odd damage to a drain holein the frame, see pics. Needs to be freshened up all over. Summary: Good solid car that needs allot of work and can be brought back, if lots of money and time are thrown at it.

That's our take on it, hope it helps. Malcom

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

The Good: Solid car, all there, most things work, did hear run. And it> wasn't too bad, since it had been sitting for years. Also had not been> sitting outside for all those years. Solid frame, and great hog troughs.> Glass looks good.

Reply to
John Poulos