Blast Cabinet Dust Collector

$48 Would this thing do any better than my shop vac? I'm getting all kinds of dust blowing out through the exhaust on it... vacuum is no longer gray, it's a reddish-brown as are the newly painted walls surrounding it.

Better start wearing a mask.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I have a small 110v blower on my cabinet. It's about the size of the defroster blower on your Hawk. I wired it so when the inside light is turned on, the blower runs. The outlet of the blower is hooked up to an old shop vac hose. I put the hose out the door when I am blasting crap. Almost all the dust goes outside. If you real close, you can hear the blower speed up when you squeeze the blaster trigger, as you are supercharging the blower inlet with compressed air. I'll take a pic next time I am out in the barn. (A shop vac would work ok if you took out the filter and put the shop vac outside) Jeff

"Lee Aanderud" wrote

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Lee, I have a shop vac that they were going to throw away at work that I use on my bead blaster (the handles and wheels were broken, and the parts cost more than a new vacuum cleaner.......don't need no stinkin' wheels for a sandblaster vacuum!). I got a special filter bag for it, that is meant for very fine dust (plaster dust, wallboard dust, etc). Lowes carries them. They come in different sizes for the various size shop vacs.

This has worked great, no dust etc gets out of the vacuum. Remember, most vacuum cleaners push the exhaust air up past the motor, so you need a very effecient filter to keep the motor from self destructing.

If you want me to look at the brand/type on these filters, let me know.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Thanks Paul, I'm heading to Lowe's in a few minutes I'll look for those bags there. That's where I got the shop vac and I know what you're talking about. I need to replace the regular paper filter too, since I've cleaned it so many times that the thing barely stays on the vacuum now.

Last week it was blasting 44 year old Studebaker rust, this week it's blasting 65 year old Case tractor rust.

Any tips on trying to get a steel temperature sensor unbolted from a cast iron thermostat housing? It's been there since 02/26/41 (got that info from Case) and doesn't want to come loose. I've got a replacement temp gauge but need to get the old sensor out first. Tried, soaking in carb cleaner, PB Blaster, heat, sandblasting, and lots of swearing and grunting... still doesn't want to come out. There's a tiny hairline crack in the housing that I don't want to make any bigger.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Lee, I was hoping someone else would come up with a trick to do this, but I see no one has. It sounds like you have tried just about everything I would have. When you heated it, did you use an oxy-acetelene torch, or a small propane/map gas torch? I would thing that you would want to get that sensor pretty hot, and a small propane/map gas torch may not do the trick.

But.....since the housing already has a crack in it, probably the safest thing is to cut the temp sensor off close to the housing, and drill it out carefully. This would be the safest method, but is also the most time consuming.

Sorry I don't have any better suggestions!

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

First try heating it till it is red, then pour cold water on it, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Okay, most acronyms I know...but WTF is "WBMA"???

Bob (Big Ol Boy)

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Bigbob62

Paul, Just an update. I went to Lowe's and bought a bag of those filter bags (reminds me of upright vacuum cleaner bags) and a new paper filter. Cleaned up the vacuum and installed all of the new filters and went back to sandblasting. The filter bags did the trick... no dust what so ever escaping.

Now I just need an even bigger blasting cabinet... the small parts are about done. I guess I'll save my money and take them up to Ray's to put in the pile of parts he'll send off to the sandblaster on the next trip.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

First, MAWB tell me what is the meaning of WTF? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Now I'm REALLY confused! First it was WBMA, now it's MAWB??

What The Fu(dge)??

Bob (CWBIT- Confused White Boy In Texas)

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Bigbob62

Lee,

Glad that worked out for you!

I know what you mean about blasting larger parts. I take my larger and/or very rusty parts to work where we have a big cabinet blaster (pressure style). But things like wheels take a LOOOOOONG time if you want to get every bit on front, back, and inside.

Another option for large parts, if they are just rusty, is to use the electrolysis method.

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Tractor fenders, hood and grill... I'd have to use the neighbor's hot tub.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

That is exactly the way I remove rusted bolts and or nuts. Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Forrester