Bord Warner Automatic Question

Hi Guys,

I have a 56 Sky Hawk with 289 V8 and the Borg Warner Flightomatic. Trans needs a rebuild, however I have the option to buy a flightomatic removed from a 63 Lark with 259 V8. Can anyone tell me if the 63 tranny will drop into my 56 Hawk?

Thanks,

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ 56 Sky Hawk 50 Packard Eight 40 Packard 120
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Will bolt right up.......................... change fluid and enjoy

Reply to
jbwhttail

Nope, not unless you cut out the driveshaft support and use a late Hawk/auto driveshaft.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Ah there is just a little more involved than that. The 56-57 Flightomatics were a short tail piece and two piece drive shaft with a carrier bearing that was bolted into the center of the frame. You need to remove the carrier bearing (I think it has four bolts) and then find a one piece drive shaft to fit. In 1958, Studebaker went to the longer tail shaft on all the transmissions and on the hawks changed rear spring positions to where the springs were off set on mounting and not center mounting like the earlier cars.. The 56 Hawk has a 120' wheelbase and the 63 has a 109 or 113 wheelbase depending on the model

2 door or 4 door.

Bob

Reply to
bob m

Reply to
blacklarkviii

It will bolt up, but there is a difference. You will have to add the fill tube and bracket as the later tranny doesn't have the floor filler. You might want to dial indicate the tranny, if your just changing it out. Probably, save you some broken flex plates down the road?

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht

If you are just swapping FOM to FOM there's no need to change bellhousings, they are all the same - although I'd probably dial it in if there's any suspicion that the engine was swapped over the years. Might want to swap torque convertors though just in case.

nate

blacklarkviii He will need to dial indicate the transmission to the engine if he uses the

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Bell housing should not have to be changed...

JT

"blacklarkviii

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

A nasty complication will be the long tail stock from the '63...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire