Brake fluid pressure

I put a dual master cylinder on my Avanti. It is one that fits a 1971 Dodge Polara with disc brakes. I used a speedi-bleed power bleeder to bleed the now silicone brake fluid throughout the system and got good flow to all bleeder screws. I do not seem to get any pressure out of the front reservoir of the master cylinder when I use my foot to apply the brakes. If I undo the front brake line at the master cylinder, I only get little spurts of fluid coming out. If I use the power bleeder it flows out strong. Why do I not get any pressure when I use my foot? Is it possible that I somehow did not get a proper bench bleed of the master? I am surprised if that is it since the power bleeder seems to push the fluid through with no problem.

Reply to
PACKERBACKER

Hi.Check the pushrod length.The new master cylinder might need a bit longer stroke to get more fluid/pressure out of the front ports.Just make sure you measure the pushrod length BEFORE starting to lengthen it so you can come back to the setting if lengthing it doesent work.ALSO make sure you adjust it out SLOWLY,not jumping forward a 1/4 inch at a time,because if you go too far,the brakes will drag because the rod is too long.Sneak up on that adjustment!!

Reply to
ChampTruckingCompany

The fluid is likely bypassing the front piston, assuming you got all of the air out. Make sure the rear brakes are adjusted up good and tight. Pull the MC cap, step on and release the brake. If you see a geyser in the reservoir there is air in the system. If not, the MC is defective. Power bleeders are great, but they can mask problems that would be found during manual bleeding.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Manually bleed the master...simple enough to do and you can do it on the car.

Reply to
ErnieR