Brake lights not working...

Hey Group,

If anyone can give a tip or two, it would be appreciated.

The brake lights on my 61 Hawk are not working.

Both left rear and right rear blinkers work just fine with or without the headlights on. But no brake lights.

Also:

The left front blinker is not blinking. The right front works just fine as do both rear blinkers. I did exchange the front bulbs right to left as the right front blinker works fine to see if it was a bulb issue...it still doesn't work.

When I turn on the headlights or just the 'driving' lights, both front lights turn on, but the left front blinker won't blink.

Is there a correlation between the left front blinker not working properly and the brake lights?

Any help or tips (currency accepted as tips) would be appreciated.

Brad Treganowan

61' Hawk 61V-11398
Reply to
Brad

I had the same thing happen on mine with the brake lights... turned out to be the sending unit.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Yes, but avoid the "Standard" brand. I've never had one of their switches last much more than a year...

Regarding the left front blinker, look for a bad bulb or ground.

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Hey Brad,

Sounds like a brake light switch for the problems out back. Find the brake light switch (should be located on the splitter block on the inside of the frame rail just a bit behind the steering gear). Take the two wires off it and put a jumper in there. If the lights light, replace the switch.

As for the left front turn signal, take the bulb back out and look closely at the two contacts in the socket. Sometimes the little insulator disk in there fails and the little 'nub' does not stick out far enough to make contact. If you have a test light or a volt meter, turn on the parking lights and the left turn signal. Put one lead (the black) to a good ground and test voltage on the two contacts, or nubs, inside the socket. One should be a constant 12V and the other should be intermittent. Just be careful to NOT touch the nub and the housing at the same time. I usually put black tape on the probe and leave only the very tip exposed to reduce chance of shorting.

Let us know what you find, buddy!

Lee

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to