Brand X engine question

A friend of mine has a '71 Olds Cutlass convertible 442 clone and is planning on rebuilding the engine (350) in the next couple weeks and has the opportunity to buy a 455 out of a '74 Toronado. Either engine is going to need to be rebuilt so is there any reason not to put the 455 in? He's not worried about gas mileage because he only puts 2-3000 miles a year on the car. Since the car is a "fake 442" keeping the original engine isn't that big of a deal to him.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Rebuild the 455 to 1970 specs. The grins from unleashing the torque(510 ft lbs. in 1970) will be worth it.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

Yeah, what Bob said.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

I concur. AFAIK the blocks are pretty much the same externally so the swap shouldn't be that hard.

nate

Jerry Forrester (no spam) wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Lee I'll 3rd or 4th the 455 option, the streetable torque will put a real smile on his face. Russ

Reply to
rustynutgarage

Blocks are taller and wider but still pose no problems. Heads will interchange but intakes will not. He'll need to upgrade to a TH400 tranny to cope with all that extra torque.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester