C'mon now guys...

Well, only Jeffy responded to my post about what to offer for the trio of "parade" bullet noses. Does everyone agree with Jeff's five hundred price? JP? Barry? Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

John Poulos

Lets say you offerd more, and actually got them. what will you do with them, part them out, could get your money back plus, add it to a list of things to restore, invest in restoration by outside sources and hope for a good ROI.

Other than a few, vey few at that, there isnt a Stude I wouldnt love to own. Years ago I had a HO scale model railroad in our basement, it was 26 feet x

22 feet then ran for another 80 feet with an island, and then another 18 feet to join it all together. I had over 90 brass handcrafted enginesspecializing in the New York Central.Over the years I purchased about 200 craftsman kits to add structures, factories, large and small buildings, and over 300 HO scale railroad cars.

When all the trackwork was done, electrified, and control panels installed, even with three other guys, all we could run was a max of four trains at a single session. When all was said and done, I could have bought a couple of JP $50K Avantis, a few $25K GT Hawks and maybe a Coupe Express.

One day it hit me, all the stuuf I had, would take me three life times to build the lits, and senic the entire railroad and I could not run all my favoite engines at the same time. Over the years we sold it all off, keeping a few pieces that were special.

BBottom line, how many Studes can you drive at the same time?

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

IIRC, in the late 1960s, I was paying more for car storage than my apartment ent.

A cross-country move resolved that,

Karl Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
midlant

These cars would be added to my boneyard and parted out. Fortunately, I have PLENTY of room at the shop for such...I recently acquired an old school bus to store stuff in and the yard swallowed it up without blinking.... I have about twenty or so in the yard now and room for sixty more... As far as how many can you drive at one time...drive a different one every day... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Three cheers to the folks that have the space to take cars home and leave them sit so they can furnish their parts when necessary. On the the other side of the coin I've seen way too many people in this hobby that have 5, 10, 15, or more projects in progress and NO, not one, not any, zero, cars to drive to the show! As for me, one blood sucking Hawk is more than enough. Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

You are a wise man, Tim! I do like to buy parts cars when they are close & cheap to part out, but am presently behind schedule to get some of the worst ones stripped and scrapped. With the high price of scrap iron, I need to get on the stick. BH

Reply to
Barry

I just finished an article for the S. Ga. chapter that takes a poke at "hoarders" and those with more projects than lifespan. I don't hoard my parts, they are there either to be used on cars that come in, sold, or traded. I will cut stuff up in the blink of an eye once I decide it's boneyard bound. I know too many people who have tons of cars and parts that they are doing NOTHING with 'cept watching them turn to rust. They think they are saving them for their retirement, when in reality there will be nothing left when that time comes. I would love to have twenty or thirty running and driving cars, but keeping up with the ones I already have is hard enough. Like mentioned, spreading yourself thin on your own stuff (unless you have mountains of $$$) usually results in several cars that all need work rather than one really nice one. My 'ol lady reminds me of that constantly....althought I drive my cars a lot and more or less treat them like everyday cars. My hat is off to JP, as he gets to drive and enjoy MANY different ones and doesn't get attaced to them. He passes them on, makes money doing it, and is a bit of an ambassador for Studebaker. I used to get PO'ed at him, but now I look at it in a totally different light and realize that he is one of our best advertisements and PR guys. I urge those of us with too many projects to think hard about putting some back "in circulation" before they turn to dust. A good thing to do for the Studebaker hobby. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Amen! Amen! Amen! I wish I had a dollar for every car I've looked at the wasn't for sale- "going to restore it some day". Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Nicely said George.. I'll toss in an opinion... (and opinions are like a$$holes...everyone has one, and all you ever get out of them is $#!t ) I think there is a difference between hoarding parts for future profit and being unable to throw something out. I have parted out Stude's and saved the good stuff, and saved the bad stuff, and saved all the rest. Ended up using what I could, sharing with others in need (or...spinning the karma wheel)...or just moving the stuff around endlessly. Just cleaned out the workshop last weekend and tossed out about a dozen pieces of Hawk sheet metal that wasn't worth even throwing out. It was pitifully rusted and bondo'd up on top of that... But it still took a Herculean effort to get my hand to let go of it when I was tossing it in the scrap bin at the recycle center. My opinion? I'd rather barter and trade Stude stuff than hoard and sell for profit... Jeff (Unless they bring cash ) Rice

"Studebaker George" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Paul and I have a mutual friend that finally decided he would not get around to restoring his collection and sold it out. He had been collecting parts since the 60's to restore his fleet. Most of the nice cars he had are now pretty far gone, but most of the parts made it.

Some collectors are just that, they enjoy the mere fact of owning the stuff,they are not drivers or restorers, just "hoarders". BTW, it's still their stuff to do with as they please, just commenting.

Paul Johns>

Reply to
John Poulos

I should add a couple things... I like to drag in as many parts cars as I can; especially at this time when scrap prices are up and the scrap guys are circling like vultures. The bullet noses I am going to get will donate many good parts and those parts will be "put back into circulation". I like to sell a couple fast moving items right away to pay for my expenses in fetching them and then they can rust in peace in the boneyard for future scavenging. I have become friends with a couple of the local crush yard operators and if a Stude (or other interesting piece) comes their way they usually take it straight to me. I pay them something for their efforts and they come and get the picked over hulls and my scrap metal when it's "time". Rather save some parts than see them come back as friggin Kia's without saving anything. If it is a car (brand whatever) I don't fool with, I ebay it or offer it up to friends who will mess with and try to make a small profit. I am very fortunate to have the yard to keep a lot of parts cars and hope I can keep filling it up. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George