Can you rechrome a mirror without removing the glass?

If not, can the glass be removed without damaging a paint label on it?

I have an old 'Passing Eye' mirror assembly in perfect condition except for pitted chrome. The black painted label leaves the words 'Passing Eye' on the mirror.

Joe H.

Reply to
Joe

Joe,

I don't see how.

To rechome your mirror they first have to strip the old chrome off, fill all pits and then there'sa three part procedure where the mirror is dipped into three different baths. It should be possible to remove it though andput it back. Take it to a good glass shop before the chrome shop.

Steve Grant a.k.a. the Madd Doodler

1881 Horse Drawn Grain Wagon 1928 Commander (for sale) 1951 Champion Starlight Coupe 1959 Lark 2 door sedan (for sale) 1959 Lark 4 door sedan (for sale) 1963 Daytona 1965 Daytona (for sale)
Reply to
madd_doodler

You can still buy those on Ebay. Why go through the trouble of rechroming?

Mark

65 Cruiser
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:> Joe,
Reply to
Mark Anderson

Yeah, that's what I thought. I'll see if the glass can be removed. Thanks, Steve.

Reply to
JoeH

Yeah, I have a bid in for the glass. The whole assembly is something else I may bid on, but I'm not sure if it's in any better shape than mine. Thanks for the thought, Mark.

JoeH