Champ camper shell

OK, this is a good deal on a rare item

John Poulos

-- I could (easily) be mistaken, but I don't think this is a Conestoga shell. I think they were plain unpainted aluminum with an unfinished interior. And, I think the Conestogas had a conventional rear lift glass rather than a tailgate replacement. The only one I can remember seeing in person was the one the dealer from whom I bought my Wagonaire. He had a '64 Champ with a Conestoga. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

> --

Nope, Paul -- Think you might be wrong.

having never seen a conestoga, I can't be sure either but from what I've read it meets the description. I have an article by Fred Fox in the October , 1981 issue of CAR EXCHANGE. The article is entitled "Studebaker's Conestoga Camper". According to the article , "It (the Conestoga) features mahogany interior trim, several nice storage cabinets, coat hangars, two interior lights, window shades, a roof ventilator, spun glass insulation, removable rear panel, and two aluminum cots fitted with delux mattresses". This was all standard in the delux Conestoga which sold for $678.27 in 1963.

The above description leads me to think that the e-bay item being sold by arkiejazz for Gib is the genuine article. If my Champ were a long wheel base model, I'd consider bidding on it.

Jack

Reply to
jack767

Reply to
Chuck Collins

Isn't that the same truck that Mickey had? ("Harvey The Traveling Truck")

Anyone hear from Mickey?

Jeff DeWitt

Chuck Coll> Here are some pictures of the shell I had. The option sheet is at the

Jeffrey DeWitt

mbstude

Reply to
itraseecab

Hmmmm.......wonder if I could shorten the length so I can use it on a shortbed Champ? Looks like the length of the side windows would prevent that. I still like it, tho.......

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon but I'd love to find a camper shell that would fit on a short, narrow bed Champ.

Jeff DeWitt

R1Lark wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt