Chevy powered AVANTI question

Did the Avantis with Small block Chevy power come with finned aluminum valve covers?? If so,anyone have a pair they want to off? I am tired of no name chrome valve covers that puke the useless rubber push in oil fill caps. I want a twist in to seat design fill cap.Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Mertz Racing

I once had a '66, which did not come with Corvette aluminum valve covers, but neither did the base engine on the Corvette... I think only the solid lifter Corvette (327, 350 ci) engines came with aluminum valve covers; Avanti II used the base Corvette hydraulic lifter engine.

Avanti II then switched to 400ci engines for the early 70's, and then to Camaro 305 ci engines at some point around 1980, I think.

I had a '71 that had Corvette aluminum valve covers, but I'm not sure if it came from the factory with them; they were the ones on this vendor page:

After '77 the Corvette valve covers look like this:
Both those covers are probably also available used on eBay.

Reply to
WayneC

PS: here are the valve covers that came stock on the early (pre 1970) Avanti II, except with an Avanti II decal on the flat rectangle on top:

engines had the oil filler tube on the front of the intake manifold,if I recall correctly. A brochure for the 1970 Avanti II appears to show an engine with a Corvette aluminum valve cover, so it would seem to me that Avanti

350ci and 400ci engines probably used the Corvette aluminum covers.

WayneC wrote:

Reply to
WayneC

You mean the 710 cap, right? Jeff

"Mertz Rac> Did the Avantis with Small block Chevy power come with finned aluminum

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Both the '70 and '71 Avanti II's I had here had the finned aluminum "Corvette" valve covers.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
Brian Scott

My 67 with a 327 does not have finned covers

Reply to
UncleMiltie

My 79 had finned (as I think all post 400 ci 78.79,80 up to 305 engines).

twist-on oil filler on drivers side....vendors have a stick on plastic Avanti emblem that covers the corresponding blank on the passenger side.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

should have added that the post 400 ci 'vantis of 78-79-80 (81?) had 350 "Vette" engines.....but in those years base Vette, Impala, Z-car etc engines were about the same except for induction & exhaust systems & timing.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Brian, I doubt that your '67 came from the factory with that valve cover, since they were not used by Chevrolet until the 1969 Corvette model year, and thus not available in 1967. More likely they were upgraded by a prior owner, maybe me... my '66 was titled as a '67 (because it hadn't sold from factory inventory until

1967), and I added the later style aluminum covers.

The Corvette covers are not chrome plated, they are smooth-surface aluminum; the cover shown in the illustration may also have been polished to enhance it's appearance for the photo

Reply to
WayneC

I owned four post-Studebaker Avantis, a '66, a '72, a '76 and an '83. None had finned valve covers. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

My 70 model (RQA) did!

Reply to
SilverStude

My tape of the 1972 Avanti Factory tour shows finned aluminum valve covers on production line engines. Also, the April 1979 Car Life Magazine Avanti Road test shows finned valve covers on the optional 350 cid engine.

Jack

Reply to
jack767