cleaning instrument board parts

I am cleaning the speedometer faceplate, a black background with white numbers, it has a grease film on it as well as the white numbers have a light brown stain, I don't want to ruin it. Is there a product that will clean the surface and not damage the paint?

Thanks Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

I'd try wiping gently with with a rag, dampened in water mixed with a little dishwashing liquid soap.

If that didn't get it, I'd step up to one of the spray kitchen surface cleaners (409, etc), dabbing it off gently with a soft cloth and then rinsing..

Reply to
WayneC

Almost anything but straight water will start washing off the printed numbers, IME, so be careful.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'd leave it alone and tell everyone it's "Patina". Or, use Q-Tips moistened with tap water, distilled water, and plain rubbing alcohol; progressing in order, if necessary. Tap water is generally milder, as far as dissolving stuff, than distilled. Dab, don't wipe. Use a lot of Q-Tips. I sometimes use Ivory liquid dish washing soap. It's soap, not detergent; and has no phosphates. Would just a bath in hot tap water and Ivory liquid, and a rinse, get rid of the grease? Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

Yes Q-tips is the answer LOTS of them. They are soft and easy to get under the meter dial. Just take your time and dab the dial face until it is clean. I just finished cleaning my clock a couple of weeks ago and could not believe the 'patina' that was removed. The clock face looks great with a slight patina still there. Good Luck!

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

generally: I agree with everyone here, more or less, to clarify:

  1. do not clean faceplates, unless it is needed for safety.
  2. remember that the glass frequently has lettering/graphics that will destroyed by heavy breathing.
  3. If you HAVE TO, water with Q-tip "dabbing"
  4. If you HAVE TO, light soap solution with Q-tip "dabbing"
  5. Anything else has a strong possibility of spreading out of control (low surface tension).

For other than the faceplate and glass:

  1. Go to Radio Shack, get "tuner cleaner" and use liberally, being VERY CAREFUL about the faceplate and glass.
  2. Get Instrument lubricant, example: KanoLabs Microil, or use a high stability oil such as one of the low viscosity "Mobile 1s"
  3. Use a specialty drop at a time oiler, or dip a needle and oil the gears and contact points one drop at a time.

good luck!

Ernie wrote:

Reply to
63Avanti

I went with the warm water & dish soap for the face of the speedometer. (and a whole package of Q-tips) And I used the tuner cleaner on the moving parts (shafts & gears) I looks great!

Thank you for the info.

Ernie

Reply to
Ernie

I guess I've been lucky for the last 15 years using good old Windex and terrycloth rags.....

\

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
Studebaker-r2-4-me via CarKB.c

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

yeah, you are lucky... that is almost guaranteed to remove or smear the lettering.

nate

Lee wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel