convertble back window from hell

Unzipped the back plastic window on my 60 lark convertible, rubbed wd-40 on all the teeth,took nearly 1/2 hour and some some curse words to re-zp the window,maybe it's a two person job. One person to hold the window up in place,while the othr person tugs on the .zipper. Any tips.

Regards,Shedon

Reply to
shel_elias

John Poulos
< One person to hold the window up in place,while the othr person tugs on the .zipper. Any

Did you have the top unlatched at the windshield header before you tried to zip it up? That makes it way easier!!

Craig

Reply to
Craig Parslow

shel snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: Any tips.

------- I have a 64 Daytona convertible. My original top had two snaps to hold the window in place while it was zipped. The replacement top does not. What works for me is to stop the top slightly before it is fully up. Then zip the window in place, before putting the top all the way up. Because it is not as tight when slightly lowered, it zips in much easier. JWW

Reply to
JWW

OK, finally you guys hit something I know about. Zippers need bee's wax. Clean them up with a solvent that is safe for the surrounding parts to stay color fast and put alot on. If the zipper is really bad use a hair dryer to melt it in.NOT A HEAT GUN!!! The next step is work the zipper about 6 inches at a time, back and forth to get the coating on. If it sticks add more wax. Grandpa was a shoe maker and I spent alot of time in the shop as a kid. I did the suit case zippers. It took alot of time to put new ones in. So we tried to save the old ones. Now where to find bee's wax is your issue. I would start at a leather store. The kind that sells crafts. It comes in cup cake size lumps one should do ya'. Candle wax is not the same and will not work nearly as well but its better than most anything else like wd40 or oils. Rich

Reply to
am not r2

Don't use WD-40, use a silicon based lubricant.

JT

"shel snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire