Correct engine????

Correct engine! Who the "F---" cares??????? I went to a nice show last Saturday. After walking around a bit, I spotted a car the freaked me out. There, as pretty as could be was a 56 Power Hawk that was exactly the same two tone paint scheme as my Dad's was in '57. I drove that car quite a bit (Dad was suprisingly OK about that). In August of 59 I drove it from South Jersey to Cape Cod by myself ( never got lost either). I looked the car over carefully to find that the owner had done a very admirable job of restoring it. I don't know how much he knew about Studebakers but I did see that it had the wrong engine. It was a later model "full flow" engine with a 4-bbl WCFB on top. Everything else looked very correct so I don't know whether he was aware of the incorrectness of the engine. But that's one of the nice tings about AACA; their judges don't know enough to be looking for technical accuracy. Like I asked, "Who the "F---" cares?? That car was NICE and I would take it any day. Dexter

Reply to
dwcars

L.D.

I think you will find that most of us aren't as anal about those things as some other clubs are.

If I see a Hawk like you described yes I'll notice the oil filter, realize it wasn't the original engine and if I think about it much further than that will think it's a nice upgrade.

Now if I see a Chebby motor I wouldn't be so rude as to say anything, but I'll THINK too bad, and it needs an engine upgrade.

Jeff DeWitt

dwcars wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

y'all are welcome to open your pie holes anytime about my stuff, just remember YOU started the conversation and my forehead does not have a scrolling marquee stating "talk to this guy" and don't acted shocked by my answers either!

Reply to
oldcarfart

I'll run my incorrect engine against your correct engine any old time ... Jeff

"L.D." wrote>

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Yeah, but I have seen you give 'that look' to 'those' people.. Wait!... You were looking at me! Why, You elitist snob... Jeff ( Once you've been downgraded, grovel in the dirt.. it aint so bad...) Rice

"Jeffrey DeWitt" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Glad to see some discussion about "correct engine" issues, or "correct anything" issues. I'm building a '55 C body, which was wrecked, and had not been on the road since '81. Additionally, it was just a shell. I really love the style of the C/K bodies, and wanted to put one back on the road. I have built a custom front clip, using Dodge Dakota, MII, and Camaro components. The rear end is S10, the wiper motor is out of a bus, and the radiator is custom aluminum. And to freak out many , then engine and trans are Chevy. I'm building it the way I want, and don't really care what others think. Just doesn't bother me, the way someone else builds their ride. I may appreciate it, or may think it isn't the way I would have done it, but I don't bad mouth other's rides. For what it is worth, I do appreciate those who are able to maintain a ride true to its' original form. I saved two cars (parts car is very buildable) from the crusher, to build one, and I am doing it my way. Would be a boring world if we were all the same. Thx, for listening, Stan

Reply to
tempestan

You do just that! And you can still be friends about it too! This is supposed to be an enthusiast's club for fun and sharing driving experiences. It is sad when someone looks down their nose at another person's ride and makes a judgment about it. And what does it say about that situation when the person bought it that way? Does it make the car any less of an interesting vehicle? Only to some... That's like saying Carroll Shelby is not legitimate since he had a heart transplant. I absolutely adore Studebaker engines, big chunks of cast iron that they are. I also love Allis Chalmers, Oil Pull, and Maytag engines. Build your Stude, do it well, and drive the snot out of it. Heck with everyone else (and THAT is the true Studebaker spirit!) Jeff

"tempestan" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

AMEN to Jeff TOO!!!!!

Reply to
ChampTruckingCompany

Reply to
Studebaker George

"Not correct," "Incorrect," and "Wrong" are piss poor ways to describe something that has been modified. "Not as original/factory" is more appropriate.

Reply to
Dave Lester