Crazy idea of using a silver hawk body to retrofit a golden hawk

I know that this might be crazy, but the body on my 57 Golden Hawk is severely rusted out in the driver and passenger front floors to the point where there is no longer any metal left under the door pillars and/or running boards. I have seen a few Silver Hawks of the same year that are available that are very clean in regards to rust and other problems. The question is can a person convert a Silver hawk body into a Golden hawk by modifying the door pillar for the rear window and replacing the doors with the ones off of the Golden hawk?

This may be sacrilegious, but the effort required to repair the existing Golden Hawk floor and trunk area and actually have it come out straight and true is daunting. As well as the cost. The Silver hawks that I would consider this for are very clean without rust in the main body and trunk areas and are under 3K.

Is this a bad way to go? Is there a lot of difference that I am not considering here?

Thanks for the information.

Dave Johnson

Reply to
dcjohns41

It is a thought, but not practical. The Golden Hawk has sub-floor boxes that supposedly kept the floor from flexing. Silver Hawks did not have them. The doors are different, the roof is different, as is the doors,windows, and all the mechanisms. To be upfront, the cars only share external sheet metal, such as hoods, trunk lids, fenders, rear quarters, etc. the "tub" is totally different.

There was a fellow inYorkwho isabout to make floors with sub floor boxes in place, and he already has the correct floors. It would be better to try and save your existing car rather than to toss it.

Reply to
Bill Glass

I think the amount of work required to change a C, into a K are more daunting. The work involved in what you are contemplating, would be better directed to restoring the original floor. It may seem to be a formidable job, but very do-able. (Did you see what Bill Clark did on his Speedster?) If you still have the bottom, door hinge bolt, hole intact, you're practically home free. At least that's the starting point.

Reply to
SilverStude

I've been a body man for 40 years[just to let you know where I'm coming from]--I'd do the floors,or find a k-body tub,if that's possible.

Reply to
52hawk

Thanks for all the feedback. I was unsure as to the real extent of the swap.

Dave

Reply to
dcjohns41

I'm not qualified to answer the technical aspect of your question, other than to observe that this is a hobby, not a religion. (To most of us.)

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Before I paint a car I always say: And Now Let Us Spray.

Reply to
52hawk

Me, too!

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

And Now Let Us Spray. _________________________

Well, that's one approach to the Resurrection of The Body ("How feeble is Our Mortal Frame," Charles Wesley). Here are some actual quotes from The Shop Manual (Revised Standard Version):

For he is like unto the Refiner's Fire.

"But the wise took oil in their vessels..."

She has wearied Me with toil, Yet her great rust has not gone from her; Let her rust be in the fire!

The four wheels were underneath the panels; and the axles of the wheels were in the base: and the height of a wheel was a cubit and half a cubit. (27"!)

The spark of his fire shall not shine.

The rods are to be kept in the rings, and never taken out.

and he brake the bands

and he has made me a polished shaft;

We will restore them, and will require nothing of them;

They shall have linen tires on their heads,

"Drive, and go forward! Don't slow down for me, unless I ask you to."

Set up road signs, make guideposts; set your heart toward the highway. ___________________________________

If this ain't a religion, I'll be damned if I know what is...

Reply to
comatus

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Excelent tub available here in Texas. A sweet hardtop body which will not even require any floorboard repair, & I can deliver to SB

Reply to
Barry

Do you have any more information on the Guy at the York meet? I have looked into the sub-floor boxes before with CE. Last time I asked they were no longer making subfloor boxes that would fit a 57 Golden.

If this manufacturer is incorporating the sub-floor into his floor pannels, that would be very useful. would sure save some time fixing what is left of my floors.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Reply to
dcjohns41