Cutting it close...

got a call from the shop that has my 944 today... apparently they got it tuned up, checked the belts, and were about to road test it to see if resetting the balance shaft belts had fixed the vibration that's been driving me ape... anyway it died on the guy while it was idling in the shop while he was doing something else, dead coil. Part will be in tomorrow AM - hopefully.

I need this car back Thursday at the latest if I am going to be able to make York according to plan...

I'm starting to hate everything with four wheels right now. If only I'd gotten the driveshaft squared away on the '55 before I moved I'd probably have set everything else on fire by now.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

N8, N8, N8!

You gotta lose that POS Porsche, and get something more reliable for your winter beater. Find a '72 Volvo 142E. Leather seats, fuel injection, and timing GEARS in the engine, just like a Studebaker. And if anything does break down, they are darn near as easy to work on as a Studebaker.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I had a 71 142E. A great car, but now over thiry years old. Parts would be hard to find even in a junk yard.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Surprisingly, around here, they aren't that scarce. They were so durable, the survival rate has been pretty good.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

engine, just

to work on

Make it a P1800 and you got a deal.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate should just take the bus...

"Gordon Richmond" wrote.

Nate moaned......

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Reply to
Transtar60

At least around here, I haven't seen any for cheaper than you can buy a decent 944. If one were to show up I might consider that option, if this thing isn't fixed soon. You can pick up 944s in the 3-4K price range; with shipping from the south or west coast it'd have to be in the 2-3K price range.

nate

Reply to
N8N

The problem with most $3-$4K daily drivers... you end up spending $3-$4K per year to keep them running. Besides, does anyone really care about handling, HP, etc. for something that's sole purpose is to get you from the house to the work parking lot? Get something reliable, save the 944 for a weekend car, and a Studebaker for special occasions.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

I have never in all my life had any car that ever cost me $3k-$4k per year to keep running.... Jeff (I shot them all dead at anything over $1000 ..) Rice

"Lee Aanderud" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Okay so I exagerated a little bit. Or it sounds like you've never owned a Porsche 944.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
John Poulos

Duly noted I never had a 943 either

"Lee Aanderud" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

I'm still working on an 001.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

My average on this car has been pretty good for the last three years... I guess it is time to pay the piper now (or move on to the next beater, but I kind of like this car)

nate

Reply to
N8N

I once worked in a shop that did exclusively air-cooled VW service. I got saddled with the job of doing a tune-up on a Porsche 911, that had six individual carbs on it. I spent a lot of time, and went by the book, and the owner pronounced himself pleased with the results. I did take the car for bit of a road test, and I have to say it was a bit of a trip, but not enough to make me want one.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

saddled with the

I want one :)

well, I got the car back so it looks like I am good to go for the weekend. I have to say that I was impressed with the shop - not cheap, but the guy that worked on my car told me everything he did to it and he a) honestly knows more about these cars than I do and b) didn't try to BS me at all, everything he said made perfect sense. Oh, and it ran the whole way home, too, which was a bonus.

The only downside is that if I spend too much time there I'm going to end up getting sucked into racing; I was already told that I really ought to show up at Summit Point for a DE because two of the guys that were there were instructors and they're always trying to get more people involved. Oh, gee, twist my arm...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Now that I have the car back, I can honestly say... YES. Switching from the Impala to the 944 is so dramatic you have no idea. The Impala is a transportation appliance. The 944 is an actual CAR.

One down, two more to fix. (one more until I can actually have the 944 to drive myself...)

nate

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I'll take your word for it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

It's like the difference between a Studebaker and a soap box derby car. Except the SBD car is probably still fun.

nate

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel