DEEPNHOCK Follies (ot)

Went through our first big Georgia thunderstorm last night. Man, the lightning was incredible. Saw a 5 bolt strike hit within a farm field of the house. Has 60 mph winds, 4" of rain in an hour, hail, power on and off.. Even the dogs got nervous. Only issue was one of the living room windows leaked at the top of the frame and got the carpeting wet. No branches down or anything (knock on wood).. Going to have to calk something somewhere... Jeff (love brick homes) Rice

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Indeed. When the home inspector came to look at our place he basically said "you don't have anything to worry about, this is what we call a 'three little pigs' house." Made me happy. So far I haven't found a single leak yet, not counting a drippy spigot. (knock wood.)

I still haven't unearthed the whole driveway yet... the PO was an eco-freak and never used the driveway or garage - his car was a little beater Honda Civic. Apparently he used the driveway as a huge composter; he had a friend with a tree service and invited said friend to dump all the wood chips on the driveway. So I've got yards and yards of really nice topsoil that I have nowhere to put... if'n you want some, bring a pickup and a shovel and take all you want! I dug out from the front of the house to the street last night and took off maybe 5 wheelbarrow loads which is now just sitting up against the garage wall for lack of anywhere else to put it. I also found that the edge of the driveway was about two feet south of where I thought it was!

nate

Reply to
N8N

You can tell you don't have termite problems up there... the home inspector when looking at my house didn't even like the fact that two flowerbeds in the back were raised using landscaping timbers and touching the brick foundation. I guess that's what you could use the "extra" compost for... raised flowerbeds in the yard.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

He sounds just like JT Jeff (Ya can't trust those Honda guys ) Rice

"N8N" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

You can rest assured that my driveway(s) would be used for their intended purpose and then some. There are three things I detest...

  1. Cooking

  1. Doing laundry

  2. Yard work

All are time consuming bloodsucking tasks that never have an end.

When I lived back east, my entire yard was naturally landscaped with perhaps 200 sq ft of lawn in the back. Here, I'm a renter so I don't give a rip about "appearance."

Also, I drop off my laundry to be done and my cooking extends to Ragu and franks 'n beans 'n sandwiches 'n simple salads bolstered by the Golden Corral, Furr's etc.

That provides me just a bit more time to get on the net and aggravate youse guys...

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I'm sure I *would* have termite problems if there was any exposed wood within 10 feet of grade... fortunately there is not. I really am trying to get rid of all this stuff because it is just overwhelming. The "yard" is a good foot or two higher than the neighbors' as it is, so spreading it on the yard is unnecessary and not an option...

nate

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
N8N

You admit to eating at Golden Corral... the one I went in town a few years ago was one step above licking three day old roadkill. I think there was a reason it was just outside of Ft. Jackson.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

That's the exact problem I have with 3/4 of my tenants. They're ass holes and trashy people that wouldn't bend over to pick up a empty cigarette pack if their life depended on it. Even if it was them that threw it down in the yard to start with. Did I say "they're ass holes"?

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

Eating at the Golden Corral is what I call 'eatin at the trough'. Last time I was there (a few years ago), me and all the other pigs had the time of our lives snortin' and a scarfin'.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

If that really is good looking topsoil, I'd just pile it up on the lawn out by the street with a 'free' sign. Shouldn't have any problem getting rid of it. Someone with a little loader might even come and scrape the whole driveway for you.

Reply to
Dwain G.

You ain't got city water up there yet???

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

That's exactly what happens here when three old fawts go to the senior lunch five minutes before dinner hour. That way, we get the good stuff everyone else has to pay $9+ for...

JT

(I got off the turnip wagon willingly!)

\

Jerry Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Well, some people are inconsiderate. I was referring to lawn mowing, gardening etc...

JT

Jerry Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Closely related to dickheads?

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Hey I take offense to that!

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Oh, sure, the POs just had two big cisterns put in because they were all about controlling runoff and saving the Chesapeake bay etc. so they let them fill up and then used them to water plants when it got dry.

However, I just drained them both last week and the one in front is overflowing as I type this :( all 450 gallons worth... yeah, it's a bit damp today.

nate

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I guess you've gotten rid of the kerosene lantern smell inside and installed electricity by now.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Ha! You laugh but there are two oil lamps in the living room, covering up abandoned boxes for wall sconces.

I didn't ask, I just nodded and thanked them for explaining the mystery switch.

I am currently in the process of running some wire to fix some "bootleg" grounds that I'm sure they paid good money to have installed.

nate

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Won't catch me complainin'... Nasty storm got worse as it rolled eastward.

"Jeff Rice" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Yeah, well that too. My leases require the tenants to do lawn maintenance. I don't mind if they don't tho. The lease says they either do it or pay me or someone of my choosing $40 by-weekly for the lawn maintenance. Jerry

Reply to
jerrystudebaker