Delco V8 Distributor

Does a Delco distributor for a Stude V8 have the little door-window {points adjust} as does the GM Delco model distributors. If so what year? jimmijim

Reply to
jimmijim

Hey Jim! I think the early 60's Lark ones have windows in them. I'm not sure about all of the other years. Did you end up getting those trim pieces we talked about? Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam
1961 Lark only.

MB

Reply to
mbstude
60 and some 61's IIRC... Be prepared to pay about a hundred twenty five or more and then spend some $$ on vacuum can, points and condenser, cap, rotor and pigtail. You will have over two hundred or more in it easily if you buy quality stuff. Or you can put an electronic conversion in it. Studebaker George
Reply to
Studebaker George

62-64 everything got autolite/prestolite. 61 was the last year for Delco electrics on V-8s.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Earlier models had the conventional Delco distributor which is far more dependable than the prestolite junk...

JT

(Who gave away all his Prestolites in favor of a couple spare Delcos)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I am running a Delco window on my Daytona and my Hawk. I carry one set of points and condenser in my 'travel' box. I had a Pertronix on the Hawk but it died on the interstate at five thirty AM on the start of a long trip with dog in the car. Luckily I carried the old stuff and just had to wait for enough light to put it in. If there is one in a thousand bad units, they will find me...in this case the Pertronix. Points will usually get you home or somewhere, but when electronics die you are stuck. BTW, 22 MPG on the Hawk with stock

259, WCFB, points ignition, 3.07 rear. No need to change anything for a couple extra MPG...although I am (finally) in the testing stage of a tranny converted from a Zip van. The learning curve on this has been steep... Studebaker George
Reply to
Studebaker George

I had a Pertronix in an early Delco crap out too.

Points will usually get you home or somewhere, but when

Back in the middle 1960's, I used to drive from the DC area to RI on one tank of gas in my Power Hawk driving between 50-60 MPH. calculataed the gas mileage out at 26 mpg. Totally stock.

Back in 2003, I drove the same car from Austin to Tulsa at 70 MPH speeds and still got around 24 mpg. Then I let it sit and the gas went bad, bent the pushrods along with sticky valves. Had to take the heads off, cleaned 'em up, reassembled them over the summer and started and ran the car off of an IV style gas supply. Still gotta drop the gas tank and send it to the radiator shop to be cleaned. All this will happen as soon as it warms up a bit.

No need to change anything for

I think that most of my experimenting days are over. I'm tryin' to wind down to a slow easy retirement...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

JT, with today's crap gas I think the figures are about the same. I am supposed to be 'semi retired'... But I'm way more busy than I have time for. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Heh... I'm "fully" retired and still thar' ain't enough time in the day. Hopefully this will be the year that I move away from workin' on cars to just drivin' em!

Ever notice that almost every single task you attempt these days is far more complicated than it really should be?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire