eBay - need some advice from experienced car sellers

This was the first time I've offered a car on eBay. I had a car listed (an 84 Jaguar) and it "sold" for $3700. One bidder came and drove the car a couple of days into the bidding period. My auction terms were for a $1000 deposit payment by today, full payment w/in 2 weeks. But today the winner (the same guy who drove the car) just called me and claimed an emergency came up and he doesn't have the money right now and wants me to hold the car and accept monthly payments (not even a down payment) until it's paid up.

Obviously I'm not going to do that, I'm not a bank, and if his bank won't trust him, why would I? I'm sure he's simply had buyer's remorse and is trying to get me to let him off the hook without damaging his eBay account. Fat chance.

But I am not sure what my obligation is to eBay and how the eBay "second chance" deal works.... if I click on second chance offer for the next highest bidder, it says it's for the sale of a similar item, and I'll be liable for a $109 "Transaction Services Fee" if he accepts my offer. Apparently that's in ADDITION to the original seller fees for listing and selling the car, or is that simply transferring the sale fees to the second bidder.

I suspect some of you have had similar experiences, so.... Should I just report the deadbeat buyer to eBay and re-list the car?

Wayne

Reply to
WayneC

Use the second chance offer, wait 10 days and file a "non paying bidder" report to get you money back on original auction.

WayneC wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos