Electrical Problems and more

Computers at work has been crashing faster then I can fix them and now this with the Transtar last night. I'm almost 75% completed with the all the computer issues except for the server but the Transtar is bugging me so my head is not in the right place to be working on computers until the Transtar is right again.

Here is what happening, also posted it on the SDC Tech site!

Coming home from a local Steak House last night, I just started the engine and let it idle for a little while then put my lights on and backed out and pull on to US 19 (death trap). Just as I got on to 19 the truck went dead electrical wise. Head lights went out engine stop running so I coast to the side of the road and push the truck to the next available road. I tried to start it again with the lights off and it was dead. So I sat for a few minutes looking for my AAA card to call them and found it in my wallet. I thought before I call I'm going to try it one more time. And the truck started right up! Then I got a little braver and turn on the lights (got to have light to drive home at night you know) and everything seem fine again. So I drove it a few miles down the road to home with out any problems. This morning the Transtar started right up like nothing ever happen. I hate it when something like this happens because now it is impossible to trouble shoot. If it isn't broken you can fix it. . . any suggestion. . . everything in the electrical system is new from the restore job a few years ago including wiring harness, alternator, and just last year I replace the voltages regular again. Even the switch is only a couple years old. I know Jim Turner is going to say it a ground?

Planning to drive it to Savannah and Atlanta in a few weeks so I want to find the problem before then and get it fix! All ideas are appreciated

Rick Courtier

For everyone that has been emailing with no response. . . sorry, but the computer issues has gotten me buried! Once I dig out I will get back to you.

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Rick, it sounds like a flaky connection in the main feed to or from the ammeter.

Reasoning: if a battery terminal had come loose, once the truck was running, it should have continued running on generator/alternator juice.

So juice from neither the battery nor the alternator/generator could get to the ignition and lighting circuits. Most likely common tie point is the ammeter, either terminal.

Next possible culprit is the "batt" terminal on the ignition switch being loose. Another possibility would be the "hot" side of the H/L switch.

I wouldn't rule out a faulty ignition switch, ESPECIALLY if the vehicle has been rewired to put the headlamps on the switched side of the ignition switch.

Hope this helps,

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I have had that happen three times with my Hawk. Twice I was able to fix it on the road, the third time the Police refused to allow me to.

In all three instances it was/is the main cable going to the starter motor. For some reason, corrosion, dirt, or not being tight enough, the car goes dead and alll it took was to tighten the nut where the mulitple wires connect to the starter.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass