Engine out of long-term storage question

As I posted some time back, I am selling my NOS R-3 engine which is in the Studebaker National Museum. This engine has never been installed or run so it has basically been sitting for 43 or 44 years. I told the buyer that I thought it probably should be gone over (seals, gaskets, etc.). Anyone have any thoughts about bringing it out of storage? Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

John Poulos

If it were me who was the purchaser, I would first assure that the engine turns.

If yes, Pull the pan and replace all seals/gaskets. One could pull the bearing caps and apply a liberal dose of Lubriplate. Squirt some oil in each cylinder and press on. An option would be to install a modern seal for the front hub.

IF No, A complete tear down would be in order.

JT

Paul Johns>

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The family that sold me my 47 Commander purchased a new NOS block for the car, and never installed it. However they did fill it with oil and with antifreeze........... all with the best intentions. When we removed it from their barn and got it home we discovered one problem. Over the years the antifreeze broke down and the brass water tube got eat'in by alien life forms that come about because of disimilar metals in a soultion. I found a new brass water tube which fit is perfecty. I was told that even though it was a brand new engine, never fired etc. That the cylinder walls should be checked for ridges as there was no movement, and the rings should be checked to see if any were stuck. Even though its a crate/NOS engine, it has sat for all these years, and due to humidity changes, condensation etc, everything should be gone over. On the otherside of the coin your engine has sat in a controlled enviroment and the changes in technology and metalergy probably would negate the need for a tear down.

BG

"Paul Johnson" wrote in message news:15Edg.2199$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny...

Reply to
Bill Glass

Reply to
Pat Drnec

I think I still have the box of the one I got from Fairborn, but it requires a piece of shim stock as well so I'd just buy from them.

nate

Pat Drnec wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Personally, I think I would tear it down; just to esnure that corrosion hasn't developed in the cylinders or between the journals and bearing inserts, and that valves haven't become stuck in the guides. I think it would be safe to assume that any assembly lube once put in there has vanished or dried up.

If you DO tear it down, can I suggest that you have a guy there with a video camera, and another with a still camera. Videotape the whole teardown/reassembly, and take detailed pics of each component as it is removed. This is history! There likely will NEVER be another opportunity to examine a NOS R3. Make sure the person doing the teardown gives a running commentary for the video.

I'd bet if you make such a video, that many Stude fans would want a copy.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

assembly lube once

Reply to
jab-ph

Doesn't Jeff do them?

Also, I believe that Mark Frank (near Waco) does 'em as well.

JT

N8N wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

not an autopsy- a pending resurrection!

hasn't developed

assembly lube once

video camera, and

and take detailed

teardown gives a

Reply to
Barry

Last time I talked to Jeff he was still working on his newer, better design where you would replace the retainer with a new one shaped to have a standard lip seal pressed into it with no "goo." Don't know if he's got it perfected or not but I was in a hurry to get started on my engine when I got back from South Bend so I picked one up from Phil Harris as Jeff didn't have any yet.

nate

Grumpy AuC> Doesn't Jeff do them?

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hello,

I'm the buyer of the engine and I had started a similar post over on Racing Studebakers a few days ago to see if any old hands had any suggestions for the R3. Similar answers were given and I'm already committed to a complete teardown/rebuild......and a suggestion was made to have an article put together for Turning Wheels, the video idea sounds great too and I support both. I'm also looking for ideas for updated bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. that won't detract from the originality, but enhance reliability/driveability. I've tried to contact Granatelli Motorsports as it exists today to see if they still maintain any records or would like to help(no response yet). It appears that there are a select few names that keep coming up to oversee the rebuild and I would have no problem with any of them IF they are interested and would agree to the added documentation of such. Thanks for all your input, this should be fun!

HNCadet

Paul Johns> As I posted some time back, I am selling my NOS R-3 engine which is in the

Reply to
attrite1

I have heard of NOS short blocks having wrist pins come loose after being put into service. If it were mine, I would want to be assured that the bearings checked out and other internals appeared in order before I fired it up. Wouldn't you kick yourself if you scored up a cylinder wall? Tim K.

Reply to
GTtim

Jeff is as slow as molasses in January....

"Nate Nagel" wrote...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

But I thought it was WARM in Florida in January?

Bob (sweat> Jeff is as slow as molasses in January....

Reply to
Bigbob62