Exciting New Hydrogen Source for Cars

Anyone live near Perdue who can get more info on this? It would be wonderful if some local Studebaker hacker could retro fit their car with this technology before anybody else does. This technology would seem to make things simple to fuel a car using water, producing hydrogen on the fly.

Purdue researchers demonstrate their method for producing hydrogen by adding water to an alloy of aluminum and gallium. The hydrogen could then be used to run an internal combustion engine. The reaction was discovered by Jerry Woodall center a distin ... Purdue researchers demonstrate their method for producing hydrogen by adding water to an alloy of aluminum and gallium. The hydrogen could then be used to run an internal combustion engine. The reaction was discovered by Jerry Woodall, center, a distinguished professor of electrical and computer engineering. Charles Allen, holding test tube, and Jeffrey Ziebarth, both doctoral students in the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, are working with Woodall to perfect the process. (Purdue News Service photo/David Umberger)

A Purdue University engineer has developed a method that uses an aluminum alloy to extract hydrogen from water for running fuel cells or internal combustion engines, and the technique could be used to replace gasoline.

Free White Paper

Free Information Technology white papers, downloads and podcasts "The hydrogen is generated on demand, so you only produce as much as you need when you need it," said Woodall, who presented research findings detailing how the system works during a recent energy symposium at Purdue.

The technology could be used to drive small internal combustion engines in various applications, including portable emergency generators, lawn mowers and chain saws. The process could, in theory, also be used to replace gasoline for cars and trucks, he said.

Hydrogen is generated spontaneously when water is added to pellets of the alloy, which is made of aluminum and a metal called gallium. The researchers have shown how hydrogen is produced when water is added to a small tank containing the pellets. Hydrogen produced in such a system could be fed directly to an engine, such as those on lawn mowers.

"When water is added to the pellets, the aluminum in the solid alloy reacts because it has a strong attraction to the oxygen in the water," Woodall said.

This reaction splits the oxygen and hydrogen contained in water, releasing hydrogen in the process.

The gallium is critical to the process because it hinders the formation of a skin normally created on aluminum's surface after oxidation. This skin usually prevents oxygen from reacting with aluminum, acting as a barrier. Preventing the skin's formation allows the reaction to continue until all of the aluminum is used.

The Purdue Research Foundation holds title to the primary patent, which has been filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and is pending. An Indiana startup company, AlGalCo LLC., has received a license for the exclusive right to commercialize the process.

The research has been supported by the Energy Center at Purdue's Discovery Park, the university's hub for interdisciplinary research.

"This is exactly the kind of project that suits Discovery Park. It's exciting science that has great potential to be commercialized," said Jay Gore, associate dean of engineering for research, the Energy Center's interim director and the Vincent P. Reilly Professor of Mechanical Engineering.

The research team is made up of electrical, mechanical, chemical and aeronautical engineers, including doctoral students.

Woodall discovered that liquid alloys of aluminum and gallium spontaneously produce hydrogen if mixed with water while he was working as a researcher in the semiconductor industry in 1967. The research, which focused on developing new semiconductors for computers and electronics, led to advances in optical-fiber communications and light-emitting diodes, making them practical for everything from DVD players to automotive dashboard displays. That work also led to development of advanced transistors for cell phones and components in solar cells powering space modules like those used on the Mars rover, earning Woodall the 2001 National Medal of Technology from President George W. Bush.

"I was cleaning a crucible containing liquid alloys of gallium and aluminum," Woodall said. "When I added water to this alloy - talk about a discovery - there was a violent poof. I went to my office and worked out the reaction in a couple of hours to figure out what had happened. When aluminum atoms in the liquid alloy come into contact with water, they react, splitting the water and producing hydrogen and aluminum oxide.

"Gallium is critical because it melts at low temperature and readily dissolves aluminum, and it renders the aluminum in the solid pellets reactive with water. This was a totally surprising discovery, since it is well known that pure solid aluminum does not readily react with water."

The waste products are gallium and aluminum oxide, also called alumina. Combusting hydrogen in an engine produces only water as waste.

"No toxic fumes are produced," Woodall said. "It's important to note that the gallium doesn't react, so it doesn't get used up and can be recycled over and over again. The reason this is so important is because gallium is currently a lot more expensive than aluminum. Hopefully, if this process is widely adopted, the gallium industry will respond by producing large quantities of the low-grade gallium required for our process. Currently, nearly all gallium is of high purity and used almost exclusively by the semiconductor industry."

Woodall said that because the technology makes it possible to use hydrogen instead of gasoline to run internal combustion engines it could be used for cars and trucks. In order for the technology to be economically competitive with gasoline, however, the cost of recycling aluminum oxide must be reduced, he said.

"Right now it costs more than $1 a pound to buy aluminum, and, at that price, you can't deliver a product at the equivalent of $3 per gallon of gasoline," Woodall said.

However, the cost of aluminum could be reduced by recycling it from the alumina using a process called fused salt electrolysis. The aluminum could be produced at competitive prices if the recycling process were carried out with electricity generated by a nuclear power plant or windmills. Because the electricity would not need to be distributed on the power grid, it would be less costly than power produced by plants connected to the grid, and the generators could be located in remote locations, which would be particularly important for a nuclear reactor to ease political and social concerns, Woodall said.

"The cost of making on-site electricity is much lower if you don't have to distribute it," Woodall said.

The approach could enable the United States to replace gasoline for transportation purposes, reducing pollution and the nation's dependence on foreign oil. If hydrogen fuel cells are perfected for cars and trucks in the future, the same hydrogen-producing method could be used to power them, he said.

"We call this the aluminum-enabling hydrogen economy," Woodall said. "It's a simple matter to convert ordinary internal combustion engines to run on hydrogen. All you have to do is replace the gasoline fuel injector with a hydrogen injector."

Even at the current cost of aluminum, however, the method would be economically competitive with gasoline if the hydrogen were used to run future fuel cells.

"Using pure hydrogen, fuel cell systems run at an overall efficiency of 75 percent, compared to 40 percent using hydrogen extracted from fossil fuels and with 25 percent for internal combustion engines," Woodall said. "Therefore, when and if fuel cells become economically viable, our method would compete with gasoline at $3 per gallon even if aluminum costs more than a dollar per pound."

The hydrogen-generating technology paired with advanced fuel cells also represents a potential future method for replacing lead-acid batteries in applications such as golf carts, electric wheel chairs and hybrid cars, he said.

The technology underscores aluminum's value for energy production.

"Most people don't realize how energy intensive aluminum is," Woodall said. "For every pound of aluminum you get more than two kilowatt hours of energy in the form of hydrogen combustion and more than two kilowatt hours of heat from the reaction of aluminum with water. A midsize car with a full tank of aluminum-gallium pellets, which amounts to about 350 pounds of aluminum, could take a 350-mile trip and it would cost $60, assuming the alumina is converted back to aluminum on-site at a nuclear power plant.

"How does this compare with conventional technology? Well, if I put gasoline in a tank, I get six kilowatt hours per pound, or about two and a half times the energy than I get for a pound of aluminum. So I need about two and a half times the weight of aluminum to get the same energy output, but I eliminate gasoline entirely, and I am using a resource that is cheap and abundant in the United States. If only the energy of the generated hydrogen is used, then the aluminum-gallium alloy would require about the same space as a tank of gasoline, so no extra room would be needed, and the added weight would be the equivalent of an extra passenger, albeit a pretty large extra passenger."

The concept could eliminate major hurdles related to developing a hydrogen economy. Replacing gasoline with hydrogen for transportation purposes would require the production of huge quantities of hydrogen, and the hydrogen gas would then have to be transported to filling stations. Transporting hydrogen is expensive because it is a "non- ideal gas," meaning storage tanks contain less hydrogen than other gases.

"If I can economically make hydrogen on demand, however, I don't have to store and transport it, which solves a significant problem," Woodall said.

Source: Purdue University

Reply to
lare911

But it takes huge amounts of electricity to make Aluminum.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Exactly, Alex.

Aluminum consists of nothing much more than condensed electricity. What they have "discovered" is simply a convenient way to reverse the reaction, and use aluminum to reduce the hydrogen from water.

Of course, you can make hydrogen from aluminum simply be dissolving it in a solution of sodium hydroxide (lye). You can make a lot of H2 in a hurry using lye water and scrap aluminum.

What this has going for it, is that we already know how to make aluminum in bulk from its ores, and that metallic aluminum is really safe to store and handle.

What it has as drawbacks is firstly, aluminum is very costly and energy-intensive to produce. It's no coincidence that aluminum smelters are always located adjacent to large hydroelectric developments, and consume nearly the entire output of their dedicated hydro plant. Secondly, you have to ship material in two directions: you have to ship the aluminum fuel pellets from the smelter to a network of retail dealers, and then you have to gather up the waste gallium-aluminum hydroxide sludge and ship it back to the smelter.

Frankly, I think if aluminum were to ever be used as an energy transport medium, we will have to find a way to "burn" it directly in a fuel cell or consumable primary battery to generate electricity directly. The fewer steps in the enrgy transform, the greater the potential efficiency.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

bulk from its

dedicated hydro

the smelter.

You guys are right I would much rather give my money to the Arabs!

Reply to
mnk777

If a fillup consisted of pumping pellets in and sludge out, then an aluminium-fueled vehicle makes some sense.

Maybe not as much as a bio-diesel, but some sense.

Nuclear reactors generating electricity - and old beer cans making a studebaker go- that would be cool!

Reply to
Mark Dunning

The problem of ever using hydrogen in large amounts in the near future, other than the cost of hydrogen itself, is finding the hundreds of billions that will be need to build a distribution system to ship it around the county. IF they can ever get around all the federal an state environmental laws, that are currently making it almost impossible to simply upgrade and extend the existing electrical transmission lines.

Do a search of the litigation on that subject to get an idea of what is ahead for a hydrogen distribution system that doe not yet exist LOL

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

But only a few beans to make a huge amount of methane Go figure... Jeff

"Alex Magdaleno" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Especially when supplemented by a few pitted prunes...

JT

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Couple of things, first off as hydrogen is the most common element in the universe why not make it on site, using either water or natural gas? I can easily see a local gas company offering a device that would sit outside your house and would make hydrogen from natural gas.

Longer term if we were to switch from natural gas to hydrogen (as we did from manufactured gas to natural gas a century or so ago), why couldn't we use much of the existing natural gas infrastructure to distribute hydrogen?

Jeff DeWitt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to
John Poulos

I wondered how they were going to do that, I can't see going to your friendly Honda dealer every time you needed to refuel.

What is that screen in picture 2? It sure looks like a Windows XP background, does that car run Windows?!?

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

There is a considerable loss in energy involved in reforming methane (natural gas) to hydrogen. Why would you deliberately destroy a good motor fuel, wasting a significant part of its contained energy in the process, to make a poor motor fuel, which hydrogen certainly is. You can already buy cars that run on compressed natural gas, and a home compressor station to fill the tank. Natural gas is cleanest-burning hydrocarbon fuel possible.

  1. Because the hydrogen molecule is so small, it will seep through pores and cracks that block methane. The pipeline system would be like a sieve, were it to be filled with hydrogen.
  2. Hydrogen is well-known for its tendency to dissolve into metals and render them brittle. You want brittle high-pressure hydrogen pipes running through your town?
  3. There is no known effective odorant that can be mixed with hydrogen, and STAY mixed. Since hydrogen is odorless, that means your sense of smell is no good for finding a hydrogen leak. And hydrogen burns with a nearly invisible blue flame when pure.

The ONLY "good thing" about hydrogen as a fuel is that its combustion product is pure water vapor. The greenies have seized upon that isolated fact, and tried to build a case for the so-called "hydrogen economy".

Besides the dangers mentioned above, hydrogen has two other drawbacks: one, it's costly to make, and regardless of how one chooses to make it, a good part of the energy from the original energy source is lost in the process; and two, its energy density sucks big time, meaning there is no way a hydrogen-powered vehicle can achieve the range of a comparable petroleum-powered vehicle.

Look at it this way:

Petroleum = dollars Hydrogen = pesos

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

significant part

energy from the

sucks big time,

I'm as far from being a greenie as you can get .

That new Honda fuel cell powered car is supposed to have a range of about 300 miles, comparable to a gas powered car.

How do you figure that? We do get a lot of oil from Mexico. One of the really big advantages for hydrogen is that we can make it ourselves, we don't have to get it from some delightful friendly place like Venezuela or Saudi Arabia.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

The amount of energy needed to get hydrogen out of water is almost equal to the energy available in the hydrogen when you are done.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

As long as you understand "almost" to mean "greater than or equal to".

If you simply look at the chemical equations involved, the reaction is completely reversible, and energy in = energy out. But the real world doesn't work that way, and any process for manufacturing hydrogen will have losses, typically in the form of heat rejected to the environment. So you have a loss when you make the stuff, and you have losses again when you consume it, whether in an internal combustion engine, or in a fuel cell. You MAY also have losses brought about by compressing or liquefying it for storage and transport.

Hydrogen: you start with a raw material, say water, with essentially zero embodied energy, and input a whole lot of energy to dissociate it in to hydrogen and oxygen. You input more energy to compress the hydrogen into tanks for motor fuel, and then you burn it in an internal combustion engine which may be 35% efficient. You will lucky to see 25% of the electric power used to generate the hydrogen actually appear at the drive wheels of the automobile. The rest is lost as heat at various steps in the transform.

Petroleum: you start with a raw material, crude oil, which contains a great deal of embodied energy. A small fraction of that energy is consumed in the upstream end, for exploration and drilling needs, and a somewhat larger fraction is consumed in the refinery and in transporting the refined products to market. But, in principle, no outside source of energy is needed to make motor fuel from crude oil. Maybe the refinery buys electric power from the grid to run their lights and pumps, but they could, in principle, generate their own power from low-value fractions of the crude, and not buy ANY outside energy to make their product.

Bottom line: when you make hydrogen fuel, you are throwing money away to do it. Can't be avoided, the conservation laws and the laws of thermodynamics don't have opt-out clauses.

When you produce fossil fuels, you are literally digging money out of the ground.

That's the source of the dollars vs pesos comparison.

We will never see hydrogen fuel as anything other than a curiosity until such time as nuclear fusion provides us with such an abundance of cheap electrical power that we can afford to throw 2/3 of it away. And by that time, we may have storage batteries that are so good as to make the use of hydrogen for motor fuel seem ridiculous anyway.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

I bet people said the same thing when we switched from steam to gasoline.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Gordon makes excellent sense, as ever. The only "reasonable" sort of use I could see for hydrogen given all its drawbacks is as part of a local(ized) structure, such as a 'hydrogen village' where there is abundant and excess to requirements wind power--but not enough to export on a grid, as an interim technology method of storing wind power for short periods to provide space/water heating for barns and greenhouses, and or local motor fuel such as farm trucks/tractors/loaders. Places such as PEI, the Magdelaine Islands in Canada are toying with just such ideas. For the bigger picture, hydrogen is just a "pipeline dream"

Jim Bartley on PEI

Reply to
George

But they were speculating on an unknown. What I said is not an unknown but a pure scientific fact. See Gordon's post for more details.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Here's an offer for you:

Send me $100 and I will send you a promise to pay for the first refueling of a car using such a system, provided you own the ten thousandth production model of that (stock) car.

The $100 must be in my hand within thirty days. My duties under this offer becomes invalid upon my death.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Gord Richmond has it as close to right as it gets...My son the Engineer agrees with him as well...

Our Heavy Water plants in Nova Scotia(I worked in the Glace Bay one

1968-69)were also setup next door to Power Plants...We had to use a lot and It cost a lot to get what we needed from the process in Power through steam from the coal fired power plant...

I don't believe Hydrogen replacing gas with today's where-with-all is the answer for the average joe here at this time...

BUT in my life time I have seem the power of people to go to the Moon because some said you can't do that...So that great American spirit "off you can't stop me trying", I do like in Lee...What man can dream he can build...

Lansing

snipped>>>

To e-mail me remove the X from my E - address...

Reply to
Lansing Small